mextalks

Welcome to MexTalks. This is my Ted talk. And if you want to know what that x means, it means this is an independently organized event. The independent organiser being me, of course.

Now, you might be wondering why I'm giving you this Ted talk here and I have three reasons for you:-
1. For once in my life, I thought of something worth speaking about.
2. Ted didn't invite me, cuz I haven't achieved anything of significance in my entire life
3. I'm just some fucking clown.

Now, the topic of my Ted talk is, why it's so hard to give Ted talks. And as someone who binge-watches Ted talks because it is the epitome of good content, I've always wondered how likely it is for someone like me to be invited to give one.

As of 2018, 2600 Ted talks exist. All of them, given by people who are actually accomplished in their respective fields, unlike me. Now, if we calculate the odds for an average person, we get 0.00003, which from an physicist's stand point, is zero. Now, if we look at other factors, like for e.g., actual accomplishments, the odds of me being invited to a Ted talk are actually zero. Which leads me to the conclusion, that physicists are always right.

Now that we've gotten the mathematical jargon aside, however, we must delve into a much more serious topic, which is content. And most of my frustration comes from the Dunning-Kruger effect, which I know nothing about, but I will continue to ramble on as if I do.

There are topics that I know only superficially, which makes me think that I know a lot, because I don't know how much more there is. And that really is the essence of the dunning Kruger effect; I feel like I know a lot, because I don't.

And now its time for me to get deviated and talk about something completely unrelated, like how I used to read a lot of books as a kid and now I just can't seem to read even one, and the truth is, its not that I don't like books anymore, its that I refuse to get invested in them. 

I once read this described in a book by Robin Sharma. It said, imagine you have a cup and you pour tea in it. Initially, it starts filling up, but as you keep pouring more, nothing else goes in. The more you pour, the more flows out and the end result is nothing. In order to gain something, you need to first empty your cup. And the same is the case with reading.

Life, has gotten hectic. There are now a million things to worry about. And if I am not constantly thinking about what I'm going to eat today, or when I think I should cut my nails, or what clothes I'm going to wear, or when I'm going to finish that assignment... Hmphhh... You get the point. There isn't any space in my brain for this beautifully sculpted story. In order to enjoy a book, you need to completely surrender to it. Give in. Live in the story. Forget who you are and you will fall in love with the story. One can only be obsessed, when one loses sight of themself. That is the sign of a visionary. A feverish lust(non-sexual), to the point of self-ignorance.