epilogue.

Overhearing the petite sounds of small feet patting against the floorboards, Changkyun pauses with what he's doing in the kitchen, quickly turning to look down at his side as his eyes lay upon a little boy— with a heart-shaped smile on his face— as he holds a piece of paper in his hands.

Emerging with a gentle smile, Changkyun sets down the knife on the counter, slightly kneeling down at looking straight into the toddler's eyes. "So, what have you brought me this time?"

Giggling, the boy holds out the paper, urging Changkyun to take it in his hands. "I drew it for you, dada!"

Vaguely gasping, Changkyun queries, "For me?" When the kid nods his head enthusiastically, the elder takes it in his hands, admiring the illustration that was created with broken crayons.

It visualizes three figures walking down what seems to be a blocky neighborhood. A little person— which represents the toddler— stands in between two taller men, who is Jooheon and Changkyun.

"Is an early Christmas gift! Do you like it, dada?"

Who wouldn't love a drawing made by a kid? It's a way for the toddler to showcase how important someone is to them. Standing up straight, Changkyun grabs the magnets from the fridge and uses them to hang up the drawing.

"There, it will be here in the meantime. Until I can go off and buy a frame for it," Changkyun says with a smile. Walking up to the toddler, he holds out a hand, and the kid doesn't hesitate to grab it. "Let's go prepare gifts for the young ones, yeah?"

"I would love to prepare gifts!" The child replies.

When they get to the living room, Changkyun sits his son next to his side on the couch, each of them wrapping little gifts that are adequate and suitable for the Children's Hospital in Seoul. Whatever the item is— a plush, a toy car, bracelets, or clay— the kids in the Hospital seem to love them, and Changkyun cherished the image of their expressions when they receive the gifts. It's something he has started doing some time ago, and he will like to keep it up.

"Dada, I have a question. . ." The kid speaks out of the blue, capturing Changkyun's undivided attention.

Pausing his action, the elder peers down at the toddler. "What is it, baby?"

"Why did you decided to name me Hoseok?" He looks up at his dad.

Tilting his head, Changkyun cocks a brow. "Do you. . . not like the name?"

"No, no— I love the name. It's just out of curiosity." Hoseok smiles, swinging his legs as his feet don't reach the ground.

Dropping the toy on the ground, Changkyun cradles his son on his arms, setting him on his lap as Hoseok wraps his arms around his father's neck.

"I had a friend. . . his name was Hoseok— well, his real name. But he preferred people called him Wonho." Changkyun finds himself smiling, his eyes tearing up a bit at the thought of the man. "He. . . he did well. He was a good man."

Curving his eyebrows in worry, Hoseok tilts his head. "Did something happened to him, Dada?"

Gazing at Hoseok, Changkyun tightens his lips before saying, "Let's just say that he's in a better place."

Smiling, Hoseok nods his head.

So Changkyun tells Hoseok everything, but— obviously— keeps off the graphic details, not wanting to destroy his son's mind at such an early stage. It was perfect, really— the atmosphere. With the Christmas music faintly playing in the background and the smell of pine cones lingering throughout each room, Hoseok has finally fallen asleep on Changkyun's arms. Regardless, the elder refuses to move, adoring how his son peacefully sleeps against his chest.

After a few minutes, the door of the apartment swings open, and Jooheon walks in, a lethargic physique embroidering his entire appearance. Changkyun's mere response is to smile, softly calling out to his husband.

"Oh, dear, he has fallen asleep, hasn't he?" Jooheon says with a tired, dimpled smile.

"I think it's your turn to take a nap with him," Changkyun says as he slowly stands up from the couch, holding Hoseok in his arms. "I still have to finish wrapping these gifts for the kids."

"Here, hand him to me," Jooheon claims as he holds out his arms.

Abiding by Jooheon's command, Changkyun allows his husband to take their son in his arms, cradling the toddler's head against his chest as he kisses the peak of Hoseok's head. He then moved his lips towards Changkyun, softly pecking them.

"I will wake you up when dinner's ready," Changkyun says with a dimpled smile, patting Jooheon's shoulder. "Go sleep— you look horrible."

Chuckling and then arising with a smirk, the elder says, "Yeah, well, I'm going to make sure Hoseok's sound asleep tonight because you've rarely paid any attention to me this entire week, and I'm craving attention."

"Well, I'll only allow it if you're not loud." Changkyun winks.

Deliberately picking up his head, Hoseok balls his hand into a fist, gently rubbing his left eye. "You're both loud."