lxiii. shifting sands (5.05)

You spend all night helping Bellamy and Clarke tend to the wounded from the blast. Sometime after sunrise, early in the morning, someone comes to Bellamy, asking for help with moving the rubble from the fountain. You start to go with him, but Clarke holds you back, motioning towards a ledge for you to sit on. "I need to look at your shoulder."

You look towards Bellamy and he nods, giving you a small smile before following the man, leaving you with your twin and Jackson. Clarke cleans up your wound, working quickly to restitch the few that were ruined, and Jackson finishes checking on a patient before he comes to watch her work. "Could've used you in the bunker, Clarke."

"You had our mother." You and Clarke look over at Jackson when he says nothing, and when you do, you see him looking away from the two of you, averting his eyes. You give Clarke a confused look, and she shrugs before asking, "Why was she afraid? Why was Kane arrested? Please help us to understand what happened down there."

Jackson starts to step away, avoiding eye contact, and Clarke rebandages your shoulder quickly so she can follow him. Her plans are stopped as Miller walks into the alcove the three of you are in, and pulls Jackson into a hug. Jackson whispers, "Be safe, okay?"

You spot the pack on Miller's back and you and Clarke exchange another look as you both take note of it. The two men exchange a kiss before Miller pulls away and walks right past you, eyes never glancing your way. You and Clarke call out to him, following him as he ignores you and heads towards the exit of Polis, "Miller! Miller, wait!"

Bellamy is nearby when he hears you and Clarke yelling at Miller's retreating figure, and he stops clearing rubble to stand in the man's path, blocking his exit. "Whoa, whoa, whoa. Slow down. Where are you going?"

"Wish I could tell you, Bellamy."

A hurt look passes over Bellamy's face. "Octavia told you not to?"

The pieces start to fall together, the secrecy, the war for the valley, and you turn to your twin. "They're going to Shallow Valley ahead of the army."

The words are enough to put you both in movement, making your way towards the building that Octavia is using as a headquarters. Madi is in the valley with the rest of Spacekru, and nobody knows the area better than you and Clarke do. That's enough to get you both eager to be on the scouting team. Miller runs after the two of you, the roles now reversed, grabbing each of you to pull you to a stop. "You can't just do whatever the hell you want here!"

Clarke glares at him, "I'm guessing you're moving ahead of the army, to scout forward terrain. Which route are you taking?"

When Miller says nothing, you shrug and add, "It's sandstorm season. The wind moves in a predictable path. We've made the trip dozens of times, you need our help."

He hesitates and then releases you both, allowing you to continue your path to the headquarters. You can hear Octavia'a voice as you grow closer, talking to the others inside. "They don't know we're coming, so all three Northern passes will be wide open. But the village will be fortified. Where's the water source?"

You hear Indra question, "Why? What are you thinking?"

Clarke looks at you with worry, knowing the dangers of Octavia poisoning the last water source in the last valley on Earth. She bursts through the door first, you right behind her, Bellamy and Miller behind you. Clarke deadpans, "My question exactly."

A woman you don't recognize, tattoos running down her forehead, glares at Miller. "Miller, your orders were to go-"

He cuts her off quickly, sounding annoyed. "I know my orders. I think we should listen to what the twins have to say."