On the line between believe and hopelessness

"Avalon!" The serpent queen holds out her arms to her son as he bravely makes fast little steps, stumbling but catching himself, gaining speed. He rushes into his mothers arms and she lifts him up, laughing as she twirls them both around.
He had just turned two years old and was getting more and more playful, moving through the palace, bringing laughter and happiness to the servants and his mother alike. They had assured that no word of him would leave Matos. Trading partners would be quickly dealt with. Spies even quicker. They had stopped sending any after the thirtieth body sent back, chopped up into parts light enough for a raven to carry. Medusas reputation as a merciless, cold-hearted queen had spread throughout all of Westeros and Essos while the people of Matos were more than glad to see their queen smile as brightly as she did when holding their little prince and their readiness to kill anyone that could be a threat to them couldn't have been higher.
No one would dare even utter a word of the prince to any of their trading partners when they would talk about their queen, merely tell them that she was the best ruler they could have wished for and that she cared for them all with all she could give. He would forever be protected by his people. Medusa rocks her sleeping child as she reads through the letter sent to her, cursing inwardly.
The prince of Dorne had invited himself to Matos to meet with her personally, his arrival scheduled to be in only two days.
The overly curious man whore might be a threat.. however.. he wasn't one she couldn't deal with. He was a only a small viper as she was a taipan, her venom more than a hundred times more potent than his.
If he would come ten feet close to her son she would sink her fangs into him and his men and watch the poison devour them until death would be their merciful relief.

"Prepare a guest room and make sure rooms in the taverns are available for some soldiers. Guests will arrive here shortly from Dorne.", she tells a servant. "What about the prince, your highness?" "Mommy?" Looking down at her precious angel she brushes over his hair. "Don't worry my beloved little snake. Nothing will ever harm you. If anyone even thinks about it, mother will have them dealt with." The servant nods. "I will prepare the guards to be armed more heavily." Nodding her head Medusa smiles. "Yes. Please do that. Double, no, triple their numbers. No danger will come close to Avalon. And if I have to start a war with Dorne for that." The man hums. "We, my queen. You have fought for us and we will fight for you and your son to our last breaths." Medusa smiles. "I am glad to be your queen." "We are glad you are our queen." With that he excuses himself.
Last preparations run on highest speed as the second day and the arrival approaches.
Avalon was sleeping peacefully, holding his afternoon nap as a servant walks into the throne room. "Your highness.. he is here." She nods her head, sipping from her cup of tea as she awaits the dornish prince sitting on her throne.

Oberyn Martell looks around the gigantic grand royal castle of Matos. It had become brighter and grander with the death of the old king. The entire Kingdom had blossomed.
However, the amount of guards inside the castle and city felt almost like a threat.
His eyes immediately meet dark green ones that glare with such intensity he can feel himself freeze up. Perhaps her name Medusa truly was deserved. Yet the woman sitting on the throne was anything but disfigured. From her long black hair with two thick white strands in the front to her green eyes, flawless skin and hourglass shaped body she was flawless. Intimidating in her beauty. Perfection formed into flesh.
"The rumors about the serpent queen are true after all. Her beauty is unrivalled in every kingdom." "Spare me the compliments." Her voice is cool, sweet and dripping with venom as she straightens up, her dress flowing around her body as she walks towards him. "You came for business, then let us talk business. I do not desire to waste my time with you. There are far better things to do with it." "And those would be?", he asks as his gaze wanders to her plump, kissable lips and flawless, smooth skin just waiting to be marked. "Anything at all, really." She turns around. "Please bring tea, wine and baked treats into my study. Do not forget to bring a few extra." The change in her voice to true kindness as she speaks to her servants is astonishing to say the least." "Of course my queen. Shall we prepare milk tea as well?" "Yes please! A good call. Thank you." The servants bow before hurrying away and he follows her into a large study filled with books on finance, strategy, anatomy, mathematics and all sorts of other sciences where she drops onto a sofa, gesturing for him to take a seat across from her. The drinks and foods are served, then silence befalls the room. "So. Speak." "My brother wishes for Dorne and Matos to exchange vows to assure our safeties." "I am already uninterested but do continue." "Dorne wants to offer you support in case of war and in return we ask for Matos to aid us. Also we want to assure peace between our countries." "Dorne is a part of the seven kingdoms under Robert Baratheon. A fat drunkard who does not understand that I not only have more power than him, but also more influence and that if I wanted him dead I could have his head in a box shipped to me in four weeks time to join the ones of my once husband and his mistress on the roof.", she says calmly, yet harshly. "The people I might have to go to war against are your allies by oath and perhaps soon enough by blood. I head the Baratheon girl was talking marriage with your nephew." Oberyn blinks, surprised. He didn't think that she would be so well informed and educated. "That is nothing that would hold.." The door is thrown open and both their eyes shift towards the door. "Mommy!!" Oberyn Martells eyes widen as he sees the small boy stand in the door, eyes filled with tears. "Avalon! My precious little snake. What is it?" The soft tone of the serpent queens voice has his head snap back around to her. The little boy runs, as fast as his little legs allow him, to her and she lifts him into her arms. "Did you have a bad dream my love?" The boy nods, tears streaming as he clutches to her. "My poor little baby. Everything is alright now. Mommy is here and nothing and no one can harm you. Mommy will protect you, my precious, precious little boy." The child cuddles closer into her arms and she kisses his hair, veiling him from the gaze of the dornish prince with hers. She kisses him for as long as it takes to make the boy giggle again. A bright smile lights up her face as well. "Get dressed, my little snake. I've had some sweets and milk tea prepared for you." The boy beams, jumping back up. "I'll be right back mommy!", he yells, already out of the door again and she smiles, shaking her head as she hears something crash in the distance, her son apologize and loud laughter following.
"I didn't know you had a child." "No one outside of Matos does. At least no one who lives. No one shall know of his existence so that no one can try and bring harm to him. I do not have to worry about my people. They love their prince just as much as I do but if news of him were to get to kings landing I would not doubt I'd have to worry for him. Before that can happen however I will eradicate any and all liabilities to his safety. In other words, Prince Oberyn, I suggest you will keep the fact that I have a son to yourself or I will most willingly start a war with Dorne and slaughter you and every single one of your men in the most brutal way I can think of." "Who is his father?" "Names have such power yet none at all, don't they? If I told you the name of wouldn't mean anything to you. He is not a royal or a nobleman. Not a rich merchant, nor anyone else whose name could be at your disposal." "A male prostitute?" The serpent queen laughs. "He might have slit your throat for that. No." Puzzled Oberyn Martell stares at her. "Then how did you meet him and why did you sleep with him?"
"He found me. And I did so because forever he has been and will be the only man that I love.. aside from our son." She stares at the door and opens her arms as the freshly dressed boy hurries trough them and into her lap, shoving sweets into his mouth as she playfully scolds him, wiping his mouth, the discussion already forgotten to her as she holds the part of Jaqen H'gar she would forever be able to keep with her. "Mommy?" She smiles. "Yes, my love?" "He can't be my daddy! Why is he here?" "To talk about our people and his people with me, my love. Don't worry. Mommy doesn't want anyone but your daddy. We'll wait for him to come home together." The boy nods, before poking out his tongue at Oberyn. "My daddy is far better than you." "Does your daddy have an entire Kingdom and an army?" "Daddy doesn't need that! Daddy is an army." Medusa Meer chuckles. "That he is. And you will be strong and tall like him too, if you continue to eat well." Her little treasure beams at his mothers words.
"A mercenary maybe?" "Close but not correct."