»2«

October 16

"Hi," my neighbor greeted me as I slowly opened the door to mine and my girlfriend's apartment. Panic slowly and silently growing within me. The chances of Vivian returning from work early weren't zero. "I know you don't want me here, or walking with you for that matter, but my boyfriend isn't home, and...I feel lonely." Shocked was an understatement. The fact that he had realized my intentions to have him not walk with me surprised me. But it also gave me a painful feeling.

Minhyuk's dark eyes looked in mine with sadness. The man with a mile-wide smile just a day ago was now in front of my door after 20:00 telling me he was lonely in a low, maybe even sad voice. "I—" my words stalled before they could make it out of my throat. I didn't have the heart to leave the taller alone, but I still feared to let him come inside.

The odds are still very low, though. I gave in to my thought rather quickly, stepping aside to let Minhyuk in before my mind could shadow the one thing convincing me to let him in.

"Thank you. I'm really sorry for intruding," Minhyuk said, taking his shoes off before following me to the living room a few meters from the door. "You don't have to tell me that it's okay. I know it'd be a lie. I just—my boyfriend is staying the night at his brother's, and I'm usually okay, but I, um, got lonely. And I feel, kind of, drawn to you—not in a creepy way! I need to stop talking. Can I just hang out with you for a little?" Instead of vocally answering, I forced a smile gesturing towards the couch and walked to the kitchen.

"Do you want anything to drink?" I finally spoke, standing at the sink to see my neighbor after pressing my fears down as much as possible. The other immediately shook his head, not giving it a thought. I turned to open the fridge and grab a bottle of water off one of the shelves before walking back over to him. I stuck my arm out to give the other the bottle, but he just looked up at me, not taking it. Since I wasn't willing to fight Minhyuk about it, I put the bottle on the table in front of him and sat down at the other end of the short couch.

I knew that I had to start a conversation for that guilty and sad look to leave the bright man, but both fear and my lack of speaking skills had kept all logical things from showing themselves. However, holding it together like nothing was happening, that was my skill—at least I thought it was.

"If you're scared to have me here, I can leave. You don't have to let me intrude." Minhyuk's voice was low as he spoke. It amazed me how extremely observant he was. I can't hide anything from him. My absence of response brought the taller to get up without a glance at me and start walking towards the door. There were no thoughts of anything when I brought myself to stand up and grab his wrist to keep him from leaving.

"I'm sorry. Don't go." I hated how my voice came out barely louder than Minhyuk's had moments before. "People don't talk to me because I do my best to show that I don't want them to, but you still came to me, and I have...reasons to be scared after you walked with me yesterday and that you're here now, yet I still don't want you to leave like this. Just stay here for a little, and I'll try to stop thinking about my reasons." I let go of the other's arm, wondering why I had just confessed any of that.

The man looked in my eyes as if searching for something but soon nodded, removing his stare from me. "I'm sorry for grabbing you." I apologized.

"No worries, Jooheon-ssi." The smile he gave pained me. Even though Minhyuk was feeling uneasy and far from happy, he wore a smile bright enough to blind anyone to how he was truly feeling.

We sat down again, and after a short moment of silence, I could finally think clearly somehow. If I wanted to hide things about myself, I had to ask the questions first, right? Leave no space for any to be directed at me. "How often does your boyfriend go to his brother's?"