Part 23: Spoons

Lexi's p.o.v:

Now that we have built our tent and stuffed it from top to bottom with pillows, blankets and all our games and snacks, it was about 4pm. So we decided we should probably eat something because the last time we ate was around breakfast. We opened our cooler and took out the hotdogs, buns and the ketchup. Obviously because we are camping we made a campfire to roast the hotdog for optimal camp vibes.

"You're literally burning it are you insane?" I question with complete shock.

"I'm not burning it, I like it a little extra crispy." He replies trying to defend himself but there is nothing to defend. His hotdog is literal char now, there's no actual meat left.

"Crispy? Crispy!? That's crispy!?" I squint my eyes at him, obviously completely disagreeing with him. My hotdog is already in the bun but I still lift it up with my fingers and swing it in front of him, to prove my point, "This, this right here is crispy. Yours is burnt. You've literally never eaten it burnt like this." I put my hotdog back in the bun and put some ketchup on it.

"That's because I've only recently discovered that I like it like this better."

"LA has changed you bone boy. You're a different Corbyn, than I remembered." I dramatically sigh and place the back of my hand up against my forehead, leaning back while Corbyn laughs at me like I'm a clown.

I sit back up and laugh with him. He finally takes his hotdog out of the fire and we eat our food, talking about random stuff. We never once mentioned Christina or the whole current situation and I'm honestly so glad, I know it'll probably still be in the back of his mind as it is in mine but that's expected and as long as we don't bring it up to much the lingering thought will hopefully begin to diminish.

***

We ended up just staying outside by the fire, adding wood on every now and then. We brought out a blanket to sit on and some cards, so we began playing snap.

Fortunately and unfortunately, Corbyn and I are extremely loud while playing snap. Fortunately because it attracted some other young adults who are around our age, so the more people that came the more friends we have. Unfortunately, the older couple that parked their caravan not too far from us yelled at us a couple times.

So far, a guy named Riley has joined us and chick named Jasmine.

"Who knows how to play spoons?" Riley asks with the facial expression you have when a light bulb clicks on in your brain.

"Yeah, who doesn't?" Corbyn and I reply simultaneously, laughing a bit afterwards, nudging each other in the sides.

"Nah, what's that?" Jasmine asks quite confused.

"Ok, I'll explain." Riley begins, "So each person gets dealt 4 cards and the rest of the pack is given to the starter of that round, right. The objective of the game is to get 4 of the same card, like all 7s or all queens. Basically how you get them all is the starter person will take one card from the pile, look at it and say for example they have a 2, an ace, a jack and an 8 in their hand right, if they pick up a 2 then they will obviously keep it because then they can start collecting 2s. But you can't have more than 4 cards in your hand, so you'll have to get rid of one of the cards you're holding and place it down next to you. Then the person next to you will pick up the card you put down and look at it to see if they could use it. If that person can't use the card or they don't want it, they just simply put it next to them for the next person."

"Ohh, ok. But how fast does the game go?"

"Depends on the speed of the everyone playing, if the starter keeps picking up cards really fast and everyone else is super fast them it'll move really quick but if one person is slower, which is ok, the cards will pile up next to them and then it'll slow down a bit after them." Corbyn answers.