Chapter 4

IV

Kathryn Janeway and Seven of Nine had decided that, at least for the moment, they would stay on the abandoned Federation outpost near Mintaka III, where they had held a council of war with those who were opposing The Federation in trying to capture Seven, and who were trying to turn The Federation into a galactic monster.

After everyone had departed, Seven had begun some minor repairs on the Phantom, the ship built on Covis III by Tom and B'Elanna. No more ships would be made there for quite some time, if ever. The Federation had made sure of that.

"I tell you Seven", Janeway said, handing a glass of iced tea to the former drone, "knowing the history of what Picard went through, and the people he met on Mintaka III, I wish I could study them myself."

"I've read Jean-Luc's report from that mission. The Mintakans sound like the kind of people whom the galaxy could use more of: peaceful, highly intelligent, and compassionate."

"Mmm, you've got a point there. I'd like to see The Federation-a respectable Federation, that is-come back here to study them some more, in the centuries ahead. I suspect they'll be in the stars within five hundred years."

"If they're smart, they won't bother", Seven said, half in jest, half seriously.

Kathryn snickered. "I might have to agree with you there. Hopefully, by the time they became space-faring, the Quadrant will be a much more peaceful place."

"Amen", Seven said, taking a refreshing gulp of the tea. "Neither of us will be around when that occurs. We have our own fish to fry."

Janeway again smiled at the verbal nuances that Seven had come to. Inside, it also made Kathryn sad, as she had missed most of this human maturation that Seven had gone through once they had arrived back from the Delta Quadrant. Kathryn would have dearly loved to see Seven develop from what she was when they came home, to what she was now.

Maybe, had they stayed close, there wouldn't have been so much pain in their lives, especially the last decade or so.

"What is your take on everything that occurred at our little conference, Seven?"

Seven put the glass down for a moment. "Surprises everywhere, that's for sure. I like having Picard actively working with us. That man has seen so much in his lifetime...he's going to be a huge asset to us."

Seven thought to herself about her use of the word "man", realizing that this Picard was a synthetic being, something that she would not even advise Kathryn of in the present circumstances.

"An understatement. He still has to figure out how best to work with us, but I'd rather have him on our side than on theirs."

"Another Amen, Kathryn. Where you surprised at my suggestion to seek out a Federation XB prison?"

"Surprised that you want to hunt for it", Janeway said with some amusement. "No. But I must admit the plan you came up with, and that you and B'Elanna have figured out is brilliant. I hadn't even thought in that direction. Although it makes perfect sense."

"It still has a lot of risks, Kathryn", Seven noted. "Even with a stealthy ship like the Phantom, we're putting our necks on the chopping block. We have no idea where this facility-if it exists-is located."

"I understand that, Seven", Kathryn said seriously, "but I'm in this with you, you know that? We'll take the risk together."

The ice that had been in Seven's heart for almost twenty years melted a little more. Janeway could very easily have let Seven do this on her own, since she got herself into this mess, but that wasn't Janeway. Even after all these years, she would still do anything for a member of her family, even an estranged member.