XXII

Dinner went rather chaotic for Guinevere. Silvanna told her brother that they were no longer forced to take part in battle which made him instantly suggest they head home to talk to their father about her marriage which stirred quite a commotion since everyone else in the table were clueless.

Alucard bravely asked who she was marrying while Fanny asked where the ring was and why was she not wearing it all along. Tigreal and Granger kept silent while Harith watched the whole scene unfold as he munched on his food.

She explained about her arranged marriage to the Paxleys which then made Alucard turn to Gusion.

"Him? You're marrying him?" He asked which earned a rather strong nudge from Tigreal causing him to grunt and glare at the man.

"Oh, no. My family disowned me." Gusion replied before taking a sip of his drink.

"And why is that?" Granger asked.

Guinevere turned to him and raised a brow. The tone was foreign and it's the first time he spoke that night.

"Because I did not follow tradition. I don't regret it actually." Gusion answered.

Granger was not liking this guy. His arrogance made his blood boil. That and some other reason.

"Oh. A rebel." Fanny commented which made Harith nod.

"You two are quite a pair. You both ran away and turned your backs on your family." Harith pointed out before munching on his sandwich.

Granger threw the young mage a glare but he was too busy with his food to even notice. Silvanna and Odette only watched while Lancelot chuckled.

"My sister didn't turn her back completely on our family. She's merely asking for her side to be heard." He said.

Alucard nodded, "Well. If your father won't listen to reason then...what are you gonna do then?"

Guinevere frowned and pursed her lips. What will she do? Is talking to him even worth it? She had no clue. She turned to her brother who smiled reassuringly.

"I'm sure he will. She is our little princess. Besides, I have a back up plan if all else fails." Lancelot answered for her.

Granger looked at Lancelot who looked back at him. The blonde prince gave him a nod before he turned to Silvanna.

"We are very thankful for your hospitality and kindness, Your Highness but I really do think it's best we head back." He said.

Guinevere shook her head violently which made Silvanna stop from replying to the prince.

"No. I think we can stay for a little bit longer. I want to help out."

Lancelot turned to her and raised a brow. Granger agreed with Lancelot but he kept quiet. This is a great opportunity for Guinevere to be away from the dangers the abyss will bring.

"Please. This is our way of gratitude." Guinevere added as she looked at her brother in the eyes.

Lancelot wanted to oppose but he could see her plea in her green eyes. He could never say no to that. He sighed in defeat.

"Alright. I guess we'll be staying."

Guinevere smiled while Granger cleared his throat. Gusion then raised a hand.

"If you don't mind, Your Highness. Perhaps I could lend a hand too?"

Guinevere turned to him. Gusion gave her a smile before looking back to Silvanna.

"We will need as much help as we can get. I'll be happy to have you in my team as well." Silvanna replied.

Gusion smiled and nodded while Granger gritted his teeth. Alucard noticed instantly and raised a brow to his fellow demon hunter.

~•°•~

When dinner ended, Lancelot and Odette accompanied Guinevere to her room since Odette suggested she should rest remembering about her injury. Lancelot remembered how rough training was and he instantly scolded his sister for not even minding her own health to which Guinevere only rolled her eyes.

Silvanna escorted Gusion to his room while the others dispersed to do whatever they wanted to do before they sleep.

"Goodnight, I'll see you in the morning." Lancelot said and placed a kiss on her forehead before closing her door.

Guinevere sighed and walked to the bathroom to wash up and change into a night gown. After doing so, she sat down in front of the vanity table and brushed her hair.

Her thoughts wandered to Granger. She remembered how he seemed to glare at Gusion earlier in the throne room. How quiet he was during dinner and how many times she caught him throwing dark looks to him just a few moments ago.

A knock on her door made her jump slightly. She placed the brush down before standing up and opening the door.

"Granger."

The man looked at her for a while. Her red locks were free from its usual braid and bow. She wore a silk light blue night gown that stopped until her knees.

"I just wanted to say goodnight."

Guinevere blinked in surprise. Did she hear him correctly? A smile slowly made its way to her lips.

"Oh. Well then, goodnight." She replied.

Granger mentally slapped himself. He didn't know what came over him. Why did he even come to her. What now?

"Uh...anything else?" She asked, snapping him out of his thoughts.

"Do you...." Granger trailed off to which Guinevere perked up and opened her door wider.

"Would you like to come in? I think there's a lot in your mind." She suggested which made Granger shake his head no.

"No, there's no need for that. I just want to ask if you like this....if you like Gusion more than just a friend."

After the words came out of his mouth, he felt incredibly stupid. He sounded pathetic and he wanted Alucard to actually murder him right now.

Guinevere let out a small laugh, "What? Why ask about this?"

Granger frowned and felt humiliated as ever. Even she thought he was being pathetic. He huffed.

"Nevermind. Goodnight, Guinevere."

Before the princess could object, Granger turned around and walked away with his hands tucked in his pockets.

Guinevere watched him go with an amused smile on her lips. Perhaps Lancelot was right. Granger does feel the same way? She could only hope.

She closed her door and laid down under the covers of her bed. She stared at the ceiling with a ridiculously wide smile.

There's no point denying it really. She likes Granger more than a friend and maybe just maybe, the feeling was mutual.