Chapter 5: Understudy

I woke up the next morning, my mind and body telling me to get up but my heart told me to stay home. I dragged myself out of bed and changed for rehearsal and gathered my things. As I made my way to the theatre, I got a text from Jon telling me that today was a two-show day. I arrived at the theatre just in time for rehearsal. I joined the ensemble and I looked over at the star cast and noticed that Ethan wasn't among them.

"Alright everyone, let's get started." Tina announced as she walked in. "Unfortunately Ethan called in sick and won't be joining us today, so Curtis will be Spongebob for our shows today."

Curtis rose from his spot in the ensemble and quietly walked over to the main cast. I sighed and brought my knees to my chest. Was last night so bad that Ethan couldn't face me today? That he was willing to miss two shows?

Rehearsal went on as usual. I couldn't stop muself from thinking about Ethan. I tried everything I could to focus on my performance but all my thoughts would go back to him.
The first show had gone incredibly well. Curtis had done a phenomenal job and the audience really liked his performance. Now, some of the cast and I were resting before the second show.

"Did Ethan seem like he was feeling bad yesterday?" Wes asked, coming to join us.

I looked over at him, my beart racing at the thought of he or anyone getting suspicious. "What do you mean?"

"I mean he looked and and acted fine yesterday and today he suddenly sick."

"He did stagedoor." Vasthy pointed out.

If only they knew. I felt tears well up and bolted out of the room and as quickly as I could ran to my dressing room. I leaned against the wall and let my back slide down until I was sitting. I felt the tears fall and my shoulders shake. I hated keeping this thing with me and Ethan a secret. I wanted to tell someone but I want to tell someone without him knowing. I don't know how long I stayed there for but eventually I heard a knock at the door.

"Aria, it's me. Are you okay?" I heard Curtis's voice from the other side.

I wiped my tears away. "I'm fine."

"Aria, we both know that's not true. Can I please come in?"

I sighed and reach up and unlocked the door. Curtis walked in and shut and locked the door behind him. He looked at me for a moment before sitting down beside me and wrapped his arms around me, pulling me close to him. I let more tears fall as I burried my face in his chest.

"What's wrong?" He asked again.

I let out a shaky breath. Telling one other persone couldn't hurt. I had to tell someone. Keeping it in was eating me up.

"If I tell you," I wiped more tears away. "will you promise not to tell anyone? Just keep it between you and me?"

Curtis smiled and raised his right hand. "I promise."

I nodded and explainex everything, starting with my first day up until now. When I finished, Curtis pulled me close to him again and let me rest my head in the crook of his neck. I don't how long we stayed there, but as time went on I felt my breath slow and the tears stopped comming. Finally we heard our call to get into costume for our second show.

Curtis stood up and offered me his hand. "Come on. It's just one more show. We get a day off tomorrow."

I took his hand. Once I was back on my feet, he hugged me once more. "You got this. I know you do." He said gently.

He left to get ready and I did the same. The rest of the female ensemble members came in and they smiled at me but didn't mention anything about my sudden exit earlier.

The second show went smoothly. I pushed aside all my thoughts anout Ethan and focused on my performance. When the show had ended, the reat if the cast talked about stagedooring where as I just wanted to go home.

"Are you gonna stagedoor?" Curtis asked me as we met outside our dressing rooms.

"I don't know." I admitted.

Curtis offered me his hand again. "I'll go with you. It might help you feel better."

I smiled and took his hand and let him lead me to the door. We walked out as usual and started down the line. A young girl handed Curtis her playbill. "You were amazing!" She said, excitedly. "But is it okay if I ask where Ethan is?"

I felt a linp form in my throat. I looked at Curtis who casted me a sideways glance before signing the girl's playbill and handing it back to her. "He was feeling a little under the weather today, so he stayed home so he could rest for Monday's show." He told her.

The girl nodded and smiled, thanked us, then ran off to meet her parents. Once we finished meeting everyone we could, I said goodbye to curtis then began my walk back home, where I could let sleep erase my all my thoughts of this  quite eventful week.