Chapter 8

Ava leaned on Connor's elbow, sipping her coffee as they chatted happily about their coffee preferences.

"I think you should try the caramel latte" Bekker winked, giving him a little nudge. Coffee was a lifesaver, considering how much they liked to spend half the night in each other's arms, only getting enough sleep on weekends.

"What is my father doing here?" asked Connor suddenly, pausing for a moment, then hurrying down the stairs. Ava followed, visibly tense. Her face took on a pale hue as she stopped directly in front of Cornelius, who on the contrary looked cheerful, smiling broadly.

"Why did you come to the hospital?" Connor demanded, clenching his fists. The last thing he wanted to do was meet his father, for too many reasons.

"Hello, Connor and Dr. Bekker, of course" Cornelius drawled calmly, not at all surprised by his son's negative reaction to his appearance. "You don't know yet? I will be here often now, as my contribution has had a very beneficial effect on the whole hospital, and I have been invited to join the board.

"What? Are you the main sponsor of the hybrid operating room?" Connor gasped in shock, not even realizing that this man could be his father. He would never have accepted his help, and there was no question of turning to him.

Cornelius just nodded matter-of-factly, looking pleased with what was happening. Ava, on the other hand, was nervous, pursing her lips as she stole a glance at Connor's disappointed expression.

"Well, see you later" Cornelius nodded stiffly, his gaze lingering on Bekker. There was no hint of guilt or embarrassment. He was behaving the same way as usual, glaring at her indecently. This paralyzed Ava and made it hard to breathe.

As soon as Cornelius turned his back on them and left with the other council members, Connor angrily clutched the empty paper Cup, throwing it into the trash.

"He always wants to show how important Rhodes is, even this time" Connor chuckled, paying attention to the way Ava looked everywhere but at him in confusion. "Ava?"

"Eh? Yes?" her voice gave her away completely.

"Wait, so you knew? You knew all this time and didn't say anything, no, you lied to me when I wanted to know the name of the sponsor" Connor protested, still hoping that he was wrong.

"Connor, I didn't lie, I just didn't want to talk, knowing about your difficult relationship" Bekker mumbled guiltily, giving up, not trying to force herself into another whirlwind of lies.

"Unbelievable, Ava... Hell, thanks, really. You helped a lot" Connor said tartly, leaving her standing where she was.

"Connor..." was all Ava breathed, her lips pitifully pursed, her eyes closed for a moment, and She took a deep breath. It was hard to push away the haunting memories that were pounding in her temples. Cornelius's face was as haughty as it had been on that vile evening. And now Connor. He turned his back on her, not knowing that she was the initiator of the invested funds, coming from his father. 

When she caught up with him in the emergency room, Ava grabbed his elbow, drawing attention to herself, but immediately seeing how reluctant and disappointed he looked at her.

"Connor, listen to me. Does it really matter who donated money to the hybrid operating system that now saves lives?" her voice was faint, and she was all subdued. They hadn't fought in a long time.

"It's important to me, you should have told me the truth" Connor snapped dryly, pointedly walking away to see a new patient who, on top of everything else, was immediately assigned to his hybrid operating room instead of the exam room.