Chapter 16

"Ava, how are you?" the first thing becker heard when she opened her eyes was the voice of natalie, who was standing anxiously next to the bed, holding a tablet. 

Her eyes didn't want to focus properly, and Ava winced as she noticed the catheter in her hand. She was definitely seeing a lot of needles. Her mouth was dry and she had to cough before answering her friend.

"I think bad, since I'm in the patient room" Ava said with a mock cheerfulness, trying to block out all thoughts of what had happened before she'd woken up on the bed, at least for the time Nat was around. Unfortunately, the memory of Connor's cold stare and accusatory speech came back to haunt her. Ava felt sick again.

"I don't know what exactly happened before Connor brought you to the room, but your blood pressure and glucose levels were critical" Natalie breathed worriedly, noticing that Ava looked distant. "Hey, can you hear me?"

"Connor?" Ava asked hoarsely, looking at Nat in surprise. She remembered exactly how he'd left her in the hallway without listening to any excuses.

"Yes, damn it, Ava! I tell you about serious things, and you ask about the obvious. Of course, Connor brought you in, you and he almost never leave each other at work, so what's so weird about that?" she broke down, waving her clipboard as she walked to the door and then back to the bed, exhaling noisily. 

"I'm fine, Nat, I just forgot to have lunch" still not understanding how Connor had gotten around to taking care of her, especially after their big quarrel.  

"Just forgot? You know, if you don't think about yourself, think about the baby" she protested, genuinely surprised at such a naive response about a forgotten lunch.

"What?" Ava said in a distant voice, and it seemed to her that Her voice came from somewhere else. 

"Ava?" Natalie froze when she saw how lost looked Bekker, waiting for some kind of explanation. "Wait, you didn't know?" 

Swallowing the sticky saliva, steadfastly withstanding the sudden and sharp wave of nausea, Ava shook her head weakly, her cold fingers gripping the edge of the blanket.

"You're pregnant, almost four weeks" Natalie announced, sitting carefully on the edge of the bed, touching Ava's elbow.

"This can't be happening..." Ava breathed in a whisper, turning noticeably paler as she pressed her hands to her face.

"You didn't use protection?" Nat asked uncertainly, not knowing how best to cheer her friend up, only seeing that the pregnancy news was definitely bad for her. 

"I... I forgot to take the pills, but it was only once, and then I took them in the evening" she muttered softly, remembering the day when she realized about the forgotten contraceptives only when she was in the hospital.

"Ava, let me get Connor" Natalie offered, about to follow the man, but Ava grabbed her arm, nearly ripping the catheter out.

"No! Don't" she shook her head, biting her lip nervously.

"So, what happened?" Manning sighed in resignation as she adjusted the catheter on Ava's arm. Bekker looked away, aloof.

"We had a fight, a serious fight" she said hoarsely, leaning her head back on the pillow and closing her eyes wearily for a few seconds. Too much had fallen on her in a few hours, and the main thing was that she didn't know what to do with it all. Baby. She didn't think about it. Maybe she could talk to Connor about it, but not now. His words, the confident tone in which he said them, that she had seduced his father-it hurt her deeply, broke her. For a while, Ava really thought that she was trying to seduce Cornelius by inviting him to dinner, because why else would they go to a restaurant together when they didn't get what they wanted, unless it was to sleep together. She almost believed in her fault.