Chapter 2

~ Chapter 2 ~

When I opened my eyes, I found myself lying by a long rope. I reached out to touch the rope and pulled my hand back, puzzled. The rope was wet.

“That’s weird,” I thought outloud.

Last time I checked, I was nowhere near water, I must be on some sort of large wooden boat.

I peaked out over the edge of this boat and my eyes widened at the view. I was in the middle of the ocean. How did I get here? But then I remembered; a big scary man and then two blue eyes… who were these-

My thoughts were cut short by a big booming voice.

“She’s ‘wake cap’n!” the voice exclaimed.

I quickly turned around and saw two men coming towards me. One was very short and fat while the other was the same big, scary man I encountered back home. I instantly cowered back to the side of the boat.

The short man approached me first and crouched down.

“Don’t worry lit’le lady,” he said softly. “We arn’t goin’ to hurt ya...”

“Not unless ye giv’ the cap’n back his gold!” boomed the big man.

Silent tears started falling down my face. I couldn’t reply.

“Look! You scared ‘er Perkins!” said the little man as he shoved the one named Perkins, though, the shove didn’t do much.

“Ye don’t steal from a pirate!” yelled Perkins, poking the little man in the chest. “Lock ‘er in the dungeons ‘til she giv’ ‘em back the gold.”

“She’s just a kid, Perkins,” said a calm voice.

I looked to the place where the voice was coming from and saw a boy. Well, maybe not a boy, a teenager, perhaps, no older than 16. His head was down and his hat covered his face as he leaned against the main mast of the ship.

“The only reason we would throw a kid in the dungeons is if they killed the captain, and she certainly didn’t do that,” he said with a smile as he looked up. I gasped quietly. Bright blue eyes. This was the man, or the boy I should say, that took me away from the town. I should be mad, or even panicked, but strangely, I wasn’t.

“Aye cap’n, but the pirate law-”

“No buts, Perkins, what I say goes.”

Wait… captain?! This boy was the captain? The captain of this pirate ship?!

“Aren't you a little young to be the captain?”

The three pirates all snapped their heads towards me. I put my hands over my mouth, not realizing at first that I had asked that question out loud.

“Now why would you ask that question, lass?” asked the captain.

I didn’t reply.

He walked over to me and crouched down and stared at me with his bright blue eyes. “You don’t have to be shy,” he said quietly.

I hesitated, but then I finally decided to tell him.

“My daddy would tell me stories about pirates all the time when I was younger. He would say that the captain was the most ferocious and most experienced fighter out of the whole crew. And he always had a beard.” I looked away shyly but then looked back up at him, smiled a little and then continued. “But you don’t look ferocious and you definitely don’t have a beard...”

I heard loud laughter and snapped my head over to see the small pirate holding his stomach with his head thrown back, his whole body shaking.

“I like this girl!” he exclaimed. “She knows wha’ she’s talkin’ ‘bout!”

The captain snarled at the man and he immediately stopped laughing.

“Don’t believe those stories your father told you, lass, they are not always true.”

“But his stories are all I have left of him…” I replied quietly, my voice shaking.

The captain looked at me in surprise. I sniffed and then let out a yawn.

He chuckled and asked “Are you tired, lass?”

I nodded.

“Johnson!”

“Yes cap’n?” replied the small man.

“You can bring…”

“Aria,” I said, telling him my name.

“Hmm, pretty name,” he said thoughtfully. I blushed.

“Johnson, bring Aria to the other room on the ship”.

“Aye-aye, cap’n!” answered Johnson. “Lets go lit’le lady!”

I got up slowly and made my way over to Johnson, but I quickened my pace after I saw Perkins snarling at me, his arms crossed.

“To ye room we go!” said Johnson enthusiastically.

I giggled.

“You’ll get used to life ‘ere lit’le lady, it’s usually not half bad”.

_____   _____   _____

Picture of Aria.