Chapter 9: Family, A Difficult Matter

Alice sat on-top of the Davenport Mansion, the roof chilling against her thin dress. She swung her legs back and forth whistling quietly to herself. The soft creek of wood under boots turned her attention to Connor, who kneeled down beside her. His hood was flipped back and exposed his face. The tanned skin glistened in the moonlight and Alice realized how handsome the man actually was.

"What are you doing up here? I thought you would be in bed resting." The woman shrugged and folded her arms across her knees. Connor sat with his legs criss-crossed and settled his hand in the middle.

"I was just thinking...-never mind..." Ratonhnhaké:ton rested a large hand on her frail shoulder and squeezed just enough for her to continue. She sighed and lifted her head, gazing at the full round moon. "What if I returned home to my mom and dad? Do you think they would take me back?"

"I thought you said your parents died in an accident? So your brother had to raise you." Alice took a deep breath and closed her eyes. Ratonhnhaké:ton waited patiently with resting eyes, gazing at Alice for answers.

"When I was 14 I was betrothed to a man who was awful, Connor. Not to mention psychotic. I was to marry him in exchange for land my father had been begging after ever since I was born," Alice clenched her fist into tight balls. "My brother Jax was 17 at the time and argued every free second he had. The night of the wedding Jax helped me escape on horseback. We hopped from place to place trying to find a stable home. We finally settled near the frontier and Jax joined the army. I heard that my parents left America because of the shame of losing both children. After a few months I guess they stopped searching for me." Fat tears splashed down the porcelain-like cheeks. Ratonhnhaké:ton stroked the salty liquid away with his thumb and leaned in close so he was eye level with Alice.

"I would never allow them to take you away. If they truly cared Alice, they would've found you years ago." Alice nodded with a slim smile on her face.

"My mother hated the fact of me not choosing the man I wanted to marry. I remember her reading me old fairy tails from her youth. It really hurt me when I found out she agreed with father to leave me here and not care to find her little girl." Alice chocked on the last two words, covering her face to hide the embarrassing display of sadness.

Connor held her body against his own and sat still, allowing her to unleash the secret emotions. Her cries continued for awhile before she pulled back and wiped stray tears away.

"What about you, I must seem selfish crying about my own stupidity." She gave a dry laugh and shook her head in disgust. Connor gripped her tiny hands in his firm pair and traced the outline of her knuckles with his index finger.

"My mother was betrayed by a man she thought loved her. Even if they had not seen each other in years, she was convinced they shared a bond that could not be broken. I watched my mother burn alive as she ordered me to leave. Her last words were "I love you"." Alice felt her heart throb. Her story seemed so meaningless compared to his. She had a choice, he did not.

"I-I'm so sorry Connor-"

"I don't need pity." The harsh tone to his voice caused the blonde to flinch. But when she peered to her right, Connor held a heartbreaking expression, much like a kicked puppy. "I have faced it, it is over." Ratonhnhaké:ton stood to his feet and stared out at the stars.

As he turned to leave, a small tugging at his coat made him look over his shoulder. Alice was clenching the white fabric in her fingers, long hair shielding her eyes. Her body shook with fear and regret.

Connor sat back down without a word. The two enjoyed each other's silent company. Alice leaning against the man's shoulder, listening to his strong heartbeat.

*Chapter End*

Another one down for the count! Please comment any special event/chapter you want to see and I'll make it happen!!!