Chapter 10

Song for the Chapter : Skinny Love by Bon Iver

~~~~

"What the fuck, where's the radio?" Camila spoke up.

They were in Lauren's car, and it had come to the younger Cuban's attention that her car had no radio.

"Um, why would I need a radio when I have all of my CDs?" Lauren scoffed. She utterly despised the public radio stations and their tendency to replay the same ten tracks. She much preferred her own music, even if it meant spending money on albums. It was preferable to fork over money than to put herself through the torture of listening to the radio. So she had the radio removed and instead upgraded to louder speakers and a Bluetooth system.

Lauren brought out her case of CDs, and set it on Camila's lap. "Pick one." As she pulled out of the parking space, the singer watched Camila through her peripheral vision. The brown eyed girl was perusing Lauren's collection. It became clear that she wasn't very familiar with her music taste.

As expected. Lauren listened to genres ranging from jazz, to rock, and RnB. It was impossible for her to stick to one particular sound.

"Okay I have one!" Camila eagerly slid the cd into the compartment.

The opening notes of the song rang through the car interior. The familiar beat of the song gave Lauren goosebumps.

Have you got colour in your cheeks?
Do you ever get that fear that you can't shift
The type that sticks around like something in your teeth?
Are there some aces up your sleeve?
Have you no idea that you're in deep?
I dreamt about you nearly every night this week..

When Lauren heard those lyrics she immediately thought back to last night, and how Camila dreamt about her and spoke her name aloud in a dream.

How many secrets can you keep?
'Cause there's this tune I found that makes me think of you somehow and I play it on repeat.
Until I fall asleep.

That rang true as well. Not only did music remind Lauren of Camila, but everything did.
The sunrise- they used to watch it rise together,
the smell of vanilla-Camila's signature perfume,
and tv shows.

So have you got the guts?
Been wondering if your heart's still open and if so I wanna know what time it shuts.
Simmer down and pucker up,
I'm sorry to interrupt. It's just I'm constantly on the cusp of trying to kiss you.
I don't know if you feel the same as I do..
But we could be together if you wanted to...

Lauren wondered exactly that. Is Camila's heart ready? Can she ever take Lauren back? Will things ever return to normal?

Thankfully, the song ended and the singer's needy thoughts subsided momentarily.

"You're an Arctic Monkeys fan I see." Lauren pointed out to Camila.

"No I actually just thought the design on the cd was cute." Camila sarcastically shoved Lauren's shoulder. "Of course I am."

"You little smartass." Lauren gave Camila the finger with the hand that wasn't on the steering wheel.

As little as Camila knew about Lauren, she was secretly hungering for more. She admired the dark haired girl next to her. Her pale skin didn't tan even though they spent all day in the sun. It's almost as if the runs rays reflected right off of her porcelain complexion, not allowing it to pigment.

Lauren's facial profile was exotic, from her deep emerald of her eyes, adorned with dark long lashes, to her full bow shaped lips. No doubt about it. Lauren is beautiful.