Chapter 4: Perseverance

Song for the Chapter: Not Over You by Gavin DeGraw

~~~~

The entire week Camila was in the hospital was hell for Lauren. She barely set foot in her apartment because she dreaded Camila's absence.

And now it's been two weeks since Camila has been discharged. Lauren sulked in her apartment, only miles from Camila. Meanwhile the younger girl spent that period of time with Dinah in her dorm on campus.

Lauren opened up Netflix, and a lump formed in her throat as she saw the recently played shows. She scrolled past Friends, and instantly remembering it was the brunette's favorite show, decided against watching Netflix.

She instead she went on the local news. A reporter stood outside Bongos Cafe, feverishly gesturing at it. The subheading read: "Local Cafe Looking for Performers"

Fuck, Lauren remembered about the restaurant and the fact that it was where they first met. She'd somewhat neglected it after Camila's incident. For something that had been part of her for a year, she strangely didn't miss it. Camila was taking up space in her heart; she had no room for anything else.

She couldn't take it anymore. Everything reminded her about Camila. The songs she heard on the radio, the bananas on her kitchen counter, and now on the television. Lauren remembered the smile Camila gave her the day she visited her in the hospital and she felt a glimmer of hope in her chest.

Camila had come into her life and changed it for the better. Before the brown eyed beauty, all she knew was music. It was her sole shelter in the midst of her whirlwind of a life. Camila was the sugar cube in her bitter coffee.

She wouldn't give up on her. Lauren picked up her phone, and decided to text Dinah. She scrolled through her conversations. Her thumb hovered over her and Camila's. She decided her heart wasn't ready for it and clicked on Dinah's name instead.

Lauren: Hey

Lauren: are you guys home?

She specified "guys." In reality, she wanted to know where Camila was. Her loneliness was killing her, and she'd very much like to see her.

Dinah: we just headed out to buy some snacks for tonight, we're having a movie night (:

Lauren's heart sunk like a stone in her chest. She figured it was a sign. They weren't home. She shouldn't visit Camila.

Dinah: wait, why?

Lauren: no forget it,

Lauren: I wanted to see her, that's all.

Dinah: lo, don't be silly! you can come over! we'll be home soon!

Dinah: meet us at the dorm, love

Lauren: do you think it's too much? will she mind?

Maybe she was overstepping her boundaries. She had to give Camila space, and put aside her desires.

Dinah: girl shush. she's been asking me about you, don't stress yourself out!

The feeling this text gave her was like no other. Knowing Dinah though, Lauren couldn't help but doubt her motives. For all she knew, the Polynesian girl could be baiting her.

Lauren: wait, really??

Dinah: you'll have to come and see for yourself (;

She couldn't believe she was letting Dinah get to her. The possibility of that being true seemed slim to Lauren. But this was a chance to finally get closer to Camila. She just had to take it.