Phi Kongkoi, the Ghost Named Kongkoi

Once there was a man named Thid Kaew who lived with his old mother.  Thid Kaew was a grateful son who took very good care of his mother.  He earned a living by fishing.  At first he could get a lot of fish, but later there was no fish, not a single fish.  So he went to tell his mother about this.

“There must be someone stealing our fish.  Why don’t you go and watch the trap?”  suggested his mother.

So Thid Kaew went to hide near his fish trap.  Later that night he saw a dark shadow emerging from a bush, shrieking, “Kok kok kok Koi koi koi.”  It was Phi Kongkoi, the female ghost named Kongkoi.

Thid Kaew jumped on the shadow, and it cried, “Kok kok kok Koi koi koi, (Hungry! Hungry!).”  Thid Kaew wrestled the shadow down, and they struggled for a long time.  Finally he subdued the hungry ghost.  Now she looked beautiful to him.  He became the husband of Phi Kongkoi.  He was very happy.

As the golden rays of the sun appeared in the sky at dawn, the rooster crowed, “Egg-I-en-egg.” Thid Kaew woke up.  He stretched, but…whoops! He almost fell off the high branch of a tree.  “Oh, no.  How did I get up here?”  he asked himself.  He called out:

“Help! Help! Thid Kaew can climb up the tree, but not down.  Help! Help! Thid Kaew can climb up the tree, but not down.”

It was cool in the morning, but Thid Kaew was drenched with sweat.  Nobody came to help.  Thid Kaew tried to climb down, with difficulty, and finally he managed to get down from the tree.  Once his feet touched the ground, he began running, running, running.

He was running around and around in the forest until dark.  He came across a little hut in the field.  There he saw Phi Kongkoi, crying, saying, “Oh, dear husband, we can’t live together.  I have to go my way.  But before I go away, I will give you some treasures that I have.”  Then she handed the treasures to Thid Kaew, and Phi Kongkoi disappeared.

Thid Kaew grabbed the treasures and ran back home to his mother.  It was real treasure.  And the ghost lady was really gone forever.  So they lived happily ever after.