Pumpkin/baking

"Do you think we have enough stuff Sunshine?" Eugene grunts, sarcasm dripping from his voice.

      Rapunzel grinned from where she leisurely walked in front, "You insisted on carrying the bags."

     She heard the three bags land on the pavement and giggled as she turned around. Eugene was shaking out his arms, "Who knew groceries could be so heavy?"

     "It's not that far back to the apartment but let me help you," Rapunzel said, picking up two bags, one in each hand,

     "No Sweetheart, I'll be fine," he insisted, reaching to take the bags off her but Rapunzel just switched both bags to her left hand and took his hand with the other. "Tha-that's not what I-ok."

     Thought she had to let him take all the bags again momentarily when they got to their apartment and she had to search her handbag for the keys. Her and Eugene had been living together for a year now, it was last Thanksgiving when they had decided to move in together and now they were celebrating the holiday in their own apartment. Usually they celebrated with their families at Rapunzel's parents huge house but this year they couldn't do that, Eugene's father, aunt and uncle lived in a city that was experiencing major snowstorms so every train was cancelled and Rapunzel's parents had been invited away to spend Thanksgiving with friends, including Cassandra's Dad. This year, they were doing Thanksgiving themselves with their friends. They invited Cassandra, Varian - since his Dad had been visiting Eugene's Dad when the storm hit, Catalina, Kiera and Lance who was handling some of the food along with Rapunzel and Eugene.

     Following along with the grocery bags, Eugene walked behind Rapunzel up the stairs and through to the kitchen after she unlocked their apartment door.

     Eugene's phone went off as they started unpacking along the counter. He checked the caller ID before picking up, "Hey Lance, what's up?...Yeah just got back." Rapunzel carried on unpacking as he spoke, "You got the turkey read?...Good...Oh don't make me hungry," he laughed, "...ok...Yeah, see you and the girls at six buddy...Alright, bye."

     "What did he say?" Rapunzel asked,

     "Well he took great delight in describing the turkey in detail,"

     Rapunzel giggled, "My mouth is watering at just the thought - and the gravy,"

     "Oh don't start," Eugene groaned, "And Cassandra's car has broken down so he's picking her up on the way to get Varian and bringing them both here,"

     "Right, in that case we'd better get started otherwise they won't have any good to arrive to." Getting right down to business, she tied back her brunette waves in a low ponytail and grabbed her apron, throwing another to Eugene.

*~*~*

     It was an hour and a half later and Eugene and Rapunzel's part of dinner was all prepared. Except the desert - pumpkin pie. Rapunzel had assigned Eugene to rolling out the finished pastry while she was mixing the filling. Their kitchen was filled with the sounds of the spoon hitting the bowl, the rolling pin against the chopping board and the speaker in the background. The couple were swaying to the music as they worked, occasionally singing along.

     "Add the cinnamon, aanndd...done!" Rapunzel exclaimed,

     "Ok, I'm ready," Eugene said, pressing the pastry to the sides of the tin. Rapunzel poured in the mixture and cut the excess pastry from around the edges before sliding it into the oven.

     "And that's in there for 55 minutes."

     "Wouldn't it be quicker to do half the time at double the temperature?" Eugene asked,