Chapter 15

"Lareina. Lareina, wake up. Wake up, NOW!" My eyes snapped open, and I saw a shadow leering over me. I screamed out then saw a bright burst of light. I shielded my eyes away. I looked over towards where I saw the shadow to find it no longer there.

"Love, are you okay?" My throat felt dry.

"What was that?" I choked out.

"That was a threat. Come on; we need to leave this room." I just let her take my hand and lead me to wherever we were going.

"How the hell did they get in? Do you understand the seriousness of the situation?" She was yelling at some of the guards.

"You all will face extreme consequences. My mate and I could have been killed. You're lucky I don't kill you! All of you get out of my face and don't show them again." She grabbed one of them by their collar and brought them closer to her face.

"Till. You. Have. Answers." She gritted out each word. I went up and put my hand on her arm.

"Baby, please." I saw her body instantly relax as she dropped the guy on the ground. He scrambled to his feet, and hurriedly ran off with the other guards.

"I'm sorry. It's just that you could have died." I hugged her close to me.

"I know, but I'm still here. I heard my dad again. He was telling me to wake up. I think if he didn't wake me, I would have died." She squeezed me tighter.

"I think it's time we discuss your dad." I looked at her like she was crazy.

"It's so early, though." She rolled her eyes and then looked at the clock on the wall.

"It's 9 in the morning. Come on; we can eat, then head to my office." I huffed out a fine and followed her to the kitchen.

I didn't eat much. I honestly didn't have much of an appetite, but Noor wouldn't let up on me eating. I just settled for a cup of coffee and a buttered croissant. She wasn't fully happy that I refused to eat more, but at least I ate something.

"Okay, are you ready?" I sat down right beside Noor across from her parents.

"No." I deadpanned. "But I don't really have a choice, now do I?" Noor's mother grabbed her husband's hand and squeezed it.

"Your dad is very much alive." I scoffed, earning a nudge from Noor.

"You promised to behave." I crossed my arms and pouted.

"Fine," I mumbled out.

"As I was saying. Your father is very much alive. He was indeed very sick but what you don't know is that he searched for ways to keep himself alive. Unfortunately, your father went searching in all the wrong places." Noor's mother gave a sad sigh.

"Continue." I waved my hand in a circular motion. I just wanted to get this over with.

[Past]

"Please, just help me," Yakeru begged the shadow man.

"What will you do in return?" The gravelly voice asked.

"Anything, I beg of you." The shadow man smiled wickedly.

"I want your soul." Yakeru was taken aback.

"My soul? But..." The shadow man tsked.

"Ah. Ah. Ah... You said anything. Or do you not want to live to see your family?" The shadow man knew he was pulling at the right strings, just like a puppeteer.