26

An incessant buzzing is what woke San up from the beautiful dream he was having. And it pissed him off. He and Wooyoung had been enjoying time on the beach together, like they were during the summer. It felt so real...

But the buzzing wouldn't stop, so San slapped his hand down in his phone with a groan, then pulled it to his face so he could answer with a groggy. "Hello?"

"San you need to get here now." It was a Jongho.

The urgency of his tone made San sit up right away. Adrenaline courses through him at lighting speed and he was stumbling out of bed before he even managed to speak again. "What is it? What's wrong?"

"I don't know, but he doesn't look good."

"YEOSANG!" San shouted away from the phone. "We are coming."

"They have the exhibit closed today so bring your badge."

San grabbed it as he spoke and finished tugging a sweatshirt over his head, then yanked on a pair of jeans.

Yeosang ran into the room already dressed and holding his keys. "Ok we are on our way." San hung up and the pair of them ran to the car.

They sped the entire way to the aquarium. San had already accepted that he would get out and run if they got pulled over, but thankfully they didn't.

He flashed his badge at the front entrance and pulled Yeosang behind him, saying he was a guest today to the person checking tickets and not giving him any time to respond.

Jongho's shift had started about midday, so there were a lot of people they needed to get through. When they reached the entrance of the shark tunnel, they ducked under the yellow tape closing it off and ran down the hall.

San slid to a stop in the main dome and felt everything within him shatter. 

Wooyoung was laying in the sand with his back to the glass. There were more noticeable holes in his tail from more scales being taken.

Several of the fish were swimming around him slowly, as if shielding him or even just being there to comfort him. A few crabs were also crawling along his tail.

"He's been like this since I got here." Jongho said. "I tried to get his attention, but he won't move."

San stepped forward and placed his hands on the glass. "Youngie?" He tapped gently, hoping the merman would turn around.

He didn't.

"What do we do?" Yeosang asked, his voice shaking a little.

Jongho stepped closer to him to loop an arm around his shoulders.

San, on the other hand, felt his anger rising. He looked around the tank for anything he could use. That's when he noticed the platform wavering on the other side of the water. "Are there cameras in there?"

"No, just the hallways." Jongho answered.

"And does anyone besides us check the cameras on a daily basis?" San turned to look at the younger with a hard glare.

Jongho's eyes lit up and he quickly shook his head.

"Keep them out of the cameras. We are getting him out of here. Today."

"San... how are we supposed to do that?" Yeosang asked.

"I don't know, but go back to the car and pull it around. We are going to have to be quick."

"We are going to be criminals..." Jongho whispered.

"If they ask you anything just tell them it was all me." San held up his hands when the other two tried to protest. "I won't let you take the fall with me, but I can't see him in there anymore." He paused for a moment, then locked eyes with Yeosang. "I love him."