7| the more the (not) merrier

and suddenly rosie grew aware of a faint hum, like engines droning in the distance but fast approaching.

"shit," lisa said next to her, "oh shit oh shit oh shit."

"lisa what's happening?"

lisa never replied. instead, she grabbed her sports bag and flung it at rosie. "guard that bag with your life and let nobody touch it, understand? especially the notebook!" lisa said urgently.

she snatched up her mallet in haste. "don't follow me. this might get ugly. whatever you do, whatever happens, don't let them know you're in here. get out of the side door. i'll handle this."

"what? who?" rosie said bewildered. "lisa what—"

"i'm sorry pinky, now is not the time for heartfelt declarations. i gotta go," lisa gabbled before she tore off into the darkness towards the front of the shop, fiddling with the glass doors. she succeeded in opening them just as silhouettes pulled up in front of the shop. 

"switch off those phones and don't make a sound!" lisa hissed. she barged outside to confront whoever had turned up.

"what's going on?" rosie said fearfully as jisoo obeyed and switched off her phone's flashlight. "what's—"

"act now, questions later," jisoo whispered as she swiftly took rosie's phone and switched it off as well, shrouding their surroundings in darkness. she spoke calmly but briskly. "jennie, hang on to my hand, don't let go. rosie, you too. let's stay still for a moment and assess the situation better."

mouth dry, rosie obeyed, somewhat calmed down by jisoo taking charge. jennie stood quiet as mouse next to jisoo, all traces of humour gone.

"is it the cops?" rosie asked, heart in her throat.

"i don't think so..."

they watched as a bright yellow glare from car headlights lit up the front of the shop as the vehicles came to a stop, the engines running idle. rosie guessed there were at least three cars, all roaring like angry beasts before the noise suddenly cut off. the headlights however remained trained on the shop, illuminating lisa's ford mustang as well as her lone silhouette squaring up to whoever was out there.

"what if she needs help?" rosie said worriedly, "we should...we should..."

"ssh, i'm trying to listen," jisoo whispered.

"what do you want, you ass?" lisa shouted. "buzz off and mind your business!"

"where your friends go?" answered a male voice, grating on rosie's ears. "don't you give me crap now, we saw them lights in there."

"there was nobody," lisa said defiantly. "y'all need glasses."

rosie nearly snorted weren't it for sudden movement outside as more silhouettes moved into the light. they were several hulking frames, big and bulky, towering over lisa.

"liar. go scope out the place, boys," ordered the same man.

"y'all be wasting your breath. they're gone, they headed out," lisa snapped back quickly, "besides, what do you need them for? it's me you're after, isn't it?"

rosie couldn't help but admire lisa, trying her hardest to cover for them and draw attention away so that they could make their escape.

"oh no..." rosie whispered as the figures surrounded lisa, hemming her in. she looked frightfully small standing next to them. 

rosie wondered if lisa was afraid.

"you burnt down your man's house and now you have the audacity to come back here strutting your slutty walk like you own the place? get lost manoban," sneered the man. he seemed like he was the leader.