Fifth Style: Malevolent Dawn

Upon being accepted by Oyataka-sama, I was given my very own Demon Slayer Corps uniform a few days later. A beautiful fan made out of  Scarlet Crimson Ore was also specially made for me too by one of the swordsmiths in the Swordsmith Village. It's weird, the weapon fitted perfectly in my hands as if the swordsmith knows me; I wonder what did Oyakata-sama and Rengoku-san told the maker about me.

Rengoku-san arranged a little celebration for me too to celebrate my acceptance. Senjuro-kun prepared a beautiful dinner for all of us, I even asked Mitsuri to join the party. However, Rengoku-san's father was less than pleased by both the party and me being a swordswoman for the Demon Slayer Corps and I was not surprised. He didn't accept his own son of becoming a Hashira, why would he accept me?

"What's the point of joining the Demon Slayer Corps? At the end of the day, nothing matters." Those were the first words echoed in my ears when I reported to him. I should have bit my tongue then but a part of me wanted to knock some sense into his hardhead. I took a breath of courage, "Rengoku-sama, when will you stop being bitter about your wife's passing?"

In an instant, a sake bottle was thrown towards my head but I managed to dodge it thanks to my demon instincts. The angry figure finally stood up from his futon and stomped towards me. "You...! You're just a stranger that my stupid son rescued, what the hell do you know?!"

I lowered my head, "I sincerely apologised for overstepping, Rengoku-sama. I don't know anything but your wife's illness couldn't be prevented. There's nothing that you or any doctors can do but your sons' loneliness, their sadness can be prevented! You are their only parent left. Ple-" A flash of light blinded my vision as my cheek stung from the pain. My hand quickly flew towards the already recovered area to obscure it from the man's sight.

"Get out!" Shinjuro-sama roared. "GET OUT!"

I was pushed out by the man as if I weigh nothing. Warms tears began to pool at the corner of my eyes. I just wanted Rengoku-san's father to spend more time with his sons but it looks like I messed up. "I should have held my tongue." I mumbled.

"No! There was no need to!" My head jolted up to meet Rengoku-san's face. His smile brightened his features as he looked at me with grateful eyes.

"Kyojuro...H-how much did you hear?" I turned away from him but he began to take large strides towards me. His warm calloused hand enveloped mine and gently spun me around to face him. For someone as loud as Rengoku-san, he didn't say much nor reply to my question. I guess he heard everything. "I'm sorry, Kyojuro. It was rude of me to say such things about your mother...It's just that, I-" I tried to find the right words without trying to cry. "I know what's it like to lose your whole family and I just wanted him to spend time with you and Senjuro-kun...before he can't ever again."

I felt a blanket of warmth embraced me and it took me a second too long to realise that Rengoku-san was hugging me. "Kyo-Kyojuro..."

"Thank you, Yukimi! You've done so much for us and I am most appreciative for your efforts!" As much as I hate to, I tried to pull away to look at Rengoku-san but he wouldn't let me. His hold on me tightened, "Thank you." His tone was much softer now and it felt weird. It's making me feel weird. My arms left my side and held onto Rengoku-san's hunched body, returning the hug. This is the first time that he felt so close to me. His whole body radiated a comfortable warmth and he smelled so much like the Sun.

I love him so much.

My eyes shifted towards a small movement in front of me to see Mitsuri and Senjuro-kun giggling to each other as they sneak peeks at Rengoku-san and I.

The night went pleasantly well after that. Mitsuri left after devouring food after food and Senjuro-kun left to bring some food to his father, leaving just me alone with Rengoku-san. We sat by the courtyard, looking out into the starry sky. "Kyojuro..." I murmured absentmindedly. The man I love turned to look at me with a beaming smile. "Will you spend the night with me?"

My mind suddenly cleared as soon as the words left my lips and turned my head towards Rengoku-san so fast that I thought I could have snap my own neck. I was going to take back my own words but the look on Rengoku-san's face made me blushed as hard as him. "I-I don't mean it like that!" I stood up hastily. "I-I just wonder if I can sleep beside you tonight...Ahhh! What am I saying?!"

I was dying of embarrassment. I still have no idea how Rengoku-san felt towards me and here I am saying this kind of things. How selfish of me...

And yet, I suddenly found myself in Rengoku-san's room. I watched Rengoku-san, now clad in a yukata, preparing the futon for the both of us. He patted at the neatly placed futon, signalling for me to join him under the covers. My hands clutched onto my yukata as I nervously walked towards him. Is Rengoku-san really okay with me? Does he know what he is doing to me?

As I laid beside him with a good distance between us, I turned to look at Rengoku-san who was looking at me; as if studying my every move. I brought the blanket up to hid my lower face, a blush started creeping in. Rengoku-san didn't say much but gave me a close-eye smile before tucking himself in.

"Kyo-Kyojuro...May I-May I hold your hand?" I murmured as soft as I could. Without saying a word, Rengoku-san offered me his hand and I turned to him, slipping my hand into his; holding it gently like I might hurt him if I wasn't careful. His hand felt warm and big as compared to mine and I gently wrapped my fingers around his hand.

"Good night, Yukimi!" Rengoku-san smiled and I returned his smile with mine. "Have a good sleep, Kyojuro."

Throughout the night, I stayed awake as I don't need sleep. In a peaceful night like tonight, I listened to the steady breathing coming from Rengoku-san as I just watched him sleep soundly - safe and sound from the dangers lurking at night and if anything were to hurt him, I will make sure that they never get to see another day.