Cast and Characters

Harry Styles as Troy Bolton, the most popular male student at East High School, and the captain of the varsity basketball team.

BarbaraSieger5 (Ashley Tisdale) as Gabriella Montez, who arrives at East High as a transfer student, and joins the scholastic decathlon team. She develops an attraction toward Harry after meeting at a New Year's party.

Louis Tomlinson as Chad Danforth, Harry's friend, Ariana's love interest, and is very good friends with Zayn and Niall. He likes the status quo and is a firm believer in it, but later ends up dating decathlon captain Ariana.

Michael Clifford as Ms. Darbus, the stern drama teacher at East High. She despises sports and cell phones but take his job very seriously, though she can be overdramatic. He clashes frequently with Liam Payne.

Luke Hemmings as Sharpay Evans, Ben's twin brother, an energetic and proud students with a love of theatre. He enjoys being the center of attention, particularly Harry's, and is wary of Becca. He is very mean, unlike Ben and is admired by Niall. (A/N: Luke isn't like that in real life, it's just going to be for these versions of HSM that he is. Also Ben is older than Luke in real life, but it's just for these versions of HSM that they're going to be twins).

Ben Hemmings as Ryan Evans, Luke's twin brother, and member of the drama club. He often joins his brother on his schemes to sabotage Harry and Becca, but is not as mean as she is and is also shown to not be particularly smart, such as not knowing how to spell "drama", and never understanding Luke's plans.

Niall Horan as Zeke Baylor, a friend of Harry and Louis who plays on the basketball team. He also enjoys baking and is an admirer of Luke.

Liam Payne as Jack Bolton, Harry's father and the coach of the basketball team. He has a mutual dislike with Mr. Clifford, thinks that Becca is a distraction to Harry's basketball career. However, he eventually comes around to it. 

Perrie Edwards as Lucille Bolton, Harry's mother.

Ariana Grande as Taylor McKessie, Becca's friend, Louis's love interest. She is the captain of the school's scholastic team, and despises the basketball players and cheerleaders, believing them to be airheads.

Calum Hood as Kelsi Neilson, a friend of Becca and Ariana, who is a pianist and composer. He is very shy and is constantly bossed around by Luke, and finds it difficult to get his music listened to, but in the end, he learns to stand up for himself and not get bossed around by Luke.

Zayn Malik as Jason Cross, a friend of Harry and Louis who plays for the basketball team. He also tends to ask mundane questions in Mr. Clifford's class. He is good friends with Harry, Louis and Niall. He and Calum show an interest in each other near the end of the movie.

Anne Irwin as Lisa Montez, Becca's mother. Her job has caused her to be transferred frequently from city to city, but she has been guaranteed that she and Becca will be able to stay until Becca graduates from high school.