Ice Prince

They were still giddy from the excitement of their impromptu performance, so they went for a walk outside in the cold, sparkling air.

"You have an awesome singing voice," Harry said. "You're a singer, right?"

Becca shrugged. "Just the church choir is all." She smiled and admitted. "I tried to do a solo and nearly fainted.

"Why's that?" He asked, surprised.

She shook her head at the memory. "I took one look at all the people staring at me, and the next thing you know, I was staring at the ceiling. Kind of solo career."

"The way you sang just now, that's hard to believe." Harry said sincerely.

"This is the first time I've done something like this," she answered.

Harry knew how she felt. "Completely." He agreed.

"You seem like you've done a lot of singing, too." He said.

"Oh, sure, lots." Harry said jokingly. "My showerhead is very impressed with me."

At that moment, everyone around them started chanting in unison. "Ten! Nine! Eight! . . ."

The New Year's Eve countdown had begun.

Harry and Becca glanced at each other, then just as quickly looked away.

"Seven! Six! Five! Four! . . ."

This was a magical night, Becca thought, wishing it would last longer.

I can't believe that I didn't want to come to this party! Harry thought. This was awesome!

"Three! Two! One!"

Everyone began cheering and blowing on their noisemakers. Fireworks burst in the sky in showers of red, gold, and blue. Everyone was celebrating–but Harry and Becca were suddenly feeling awkward.

People kiss each other on New Year's Eve, Harry thought. Should I—?

It's traditional to kiss when the clock strikes midnight, Becca thought. Will he—?

Neither one moved. After a few seconds, she smiled. "I guess I'd better go find my mom and wish her a Happy New Year."

Harry nodded. The spell was broken, and he was a little relieved. "Me too," he said. "I mean, not your mom–my mom . . . and dad. I'll call you tomorrow."

He pulled out his cell phone, quickly snapped a picture of her, then handed her the phone. "Put your number in."

Becca grabbed her own phone and handed it to him. "You, too–"

They quickly switched phones and tapped in their numbers. Then Becca turned to leave. Harry stopped her.

"Singing with you was the most fun I've had this vacation," he said sincerely. "Where do you–"

Another series of fireworks exploded overhead, drowning out whatever he was saying.

Becca was already at the stairs. She waved back, smiling, then vanished. Harry stood absolutely still, gazing after her.

A week later, school started again at East High in Los Angles, California. It was the first morning back after winter vacation, and the scene was bedlam. Kids were piling out of buses, yelling at each other, showing off new clothes.

As Harry entered the courtyard, under the banner that read "Happy New Year Wildcats," other students gave him high fives, low fives, and side fives.

His friends and basketball teammate Louis came up to him, yelling. "Yo, doggie! Harry, my hoops boy!"

Louis had wild, curly hair and a wired attitude to match. He was the loyal number two to Harry's number one and, before Harry could blink, he found that Louis had drawn in all the other numbers of the team. They were happy to see him, excited to be back together, and totally keyed up about the championship game, now just a couple of weeks away.