Chapter 2

"What am I supposed to do?!" I yelled, unable to contain how I was feeling.

"Kiran, calm down," Mati said to me. "Freaking out isn't going to solve anything right now."

"Okay," I took a deep breath. Calming down was easier said than done. "Don't freak out, don't freak out." I closed my eyes, trying to steady my racing heart. It seemed to work, but when I opened my eyes again, I felt the panic return. "I'M FREAKING OUT!"

Everyone stared at me, worry visible in their eyes. Well, everyone but Naya, who was still laughing like a maniac.

"He.. said..marry..you..off," Naya spoke in between her laughter again, not able to stifle it. We all watched her laugh until she was clutching her sides from pain. Finally, she stopped. Wiping tears from her eyes, she let out a sigh.

"You have a hilarious brother, your highnosity," Naya said.

I decided not to say anything, worried that if I spoke, I would burst out again.

"Naya," Mati was the only one who wasn't shocked by how amused Naya was. "It's not a joke."

"What do you mean?" Naya tilted her head. "It's not like his snakeyness can do that stuff even if he means it. Her royalness isn't in any danger!"

"YES, I AM!" I screamed. "HE'S GOING TO GET ME MARRIED TO A RANDOM DUDE, AND I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO!" Then, I let my emotions get the better of me and sat back down, blinking back tears.

"I am going to chop his heads off, one by one," I sobbed.

I didn't look at Naya, but I could sense something had changed. I looked up to see that she wore an expression like something was finally clicking in her brain.

"Oh," she gasped. "No..." She looked at me, and I felt like crying again. "Your majesticness, I am so sorry! I didn't know! I thought.."

"It's okay," I choked out. "I need to talk to the Raja. There must be something he can do about this."

"I don't know, princess," Lal looked nervous. "He isn't your father, so I'm not sure there's much he can do."

"I've got to try anyway," I stood up and walked towards the doors. As soon as I'd exited the dining room, I ran towards the throne room.

I took a minute to catch my breath before stepping inside. When I did, I walked towards the Raja and bowed in front of him.

"Princess Demon Slayer!" Rontu grinned. I think it's ridiculous that people still called me by that name. It had been almost four years. "There is no need to bow before me."

"I have something to ask you, your majesty," I said, not wanting to look him in the eye. I heard the sound of the doors to the throne room open, but I kept my head down.

"Go ahead, tell me," Rontu scooted towards the edge of his throne.

"Um.." I took a deep breath. "My brother is setting me up for an arranged marriage. From what I know, I don't have a say in it. Please, your majesty, there must be something you can do."

"An arranged marriage?" The Raja's jaw dropped. "For you?"

I nodded, not trusting my voice.

Rontu thought for a moment before sighing. "I'm so sorry, but I-"

"Please, father," I looked up to see Neel, with Lal standing near behind him, and the rest of our friends far enough that they couldn't hear the conversation going on. Even the Raja's minister, Tuni, was there. "There must be something you or any of us can do."

"Well," Rontu hesitated. "There is one thing. But I don't know if-"

"Anything, please," I pleaded, finally looking him in the eyes.

Rontu sighed again. "Alright, listen. There may not be anything I can do, but I could get one of my sons to invoke it by asking for your hand in marriage."

"What?" I gasped.

"I don't have much control over this, princess," Rontu told me.

Uhm, okay. I was not expecting that.

I didn't look at Neel as I stood up and bowed in front of the Raja, thanking him. I still didn't look at him when I walked out of the throne room. My thoughts began crowding my mind.

I can't do this. Lal feels very strongly towards Mati, and Mati feels the same about him. And Neel. I know he would immediately fight for my hand in marriage, but he sees me as a friend as far as I can tell. I don't want me to get in the way of him possibly finding true love someday.

Gosh, that sounded sappy.

"Kiran!" I heard a voice and turned in the direction of it, already knowing who it was.

"Neel," I muttered, looking down again.

"Look, Kiran, I promise we'll get you out of this," Neel said in a voice filled with so much determination I almost believed him.

"Neel, I can't," I backed away. "It feels wrong."

"What do you mean?" Neel asked, obviously confused. "Kiran, I don't care what it takes. I will help you out of this."

"Thank you," I sniffed. "But you can't. I can't let you do that. I won't be able to live with myself if you do."

"What?" Neel turned me to face him. "What are you talking about?"

"I... nothing," I pulled away and ran towards the stables, avoiding everyone who tried to talk to me along the way.