Chapter Two | The Man At The End Of The Trail

Jason was not one to believe in the supernatural, or magic, and the sight of this strange man did not change that fact. Just because this man was dressed in a rather convincing costume and looked utterly baffled by the world around him did not make him the real deal.

On the other hand, Tobias was not aware that his authenticity was being called into question, and turned to face the other strange man when he shouted accusations at him.

"Murderer?" Tobias repeated with a gentle tilt of his head, not really understanding how this man, whom he had never met before, was accusing him of murder, something that Tobias truly had no knowledge of.

"Yes, murderer!" Jason shouted, straightening up but still standing tense, ready to pounce and attack if this oddly dressed man made even the slightest movement. "I followed the killer's trail right here, to this empty park, and suddenly you appear, and only you? That's pretty suspicious."

The eldest Ballantine son genuinely had no clue what the other was talking about.

"I'm sorry, sir, but I believe you are mistaken. I was just passing through on my way to my new home... but I believe I have wound up in the wrong place."

In all honesty, that was strange for Tobias to say because he knew his father had been the one to prepare the spell that would take him to his new home, and he had never known his father to make a mistake with something as simple as this, so he assumed it had been intended that he was to wind up here instead of the Manor that was supposedly in a place called Canterbury.

"I... really think I am in the wrong place..."

"Listen here, buddy," Jason marched up to Tobias and pulled out a pair of handcuffs from the gadgets that were hidden... somewhere... on his person. " I don't really care what you think, I care what I think... and I think you're the murderer that my trail has led me to."

Upon seeing the stranger pull out a pair of handcuffs, Tobias realized he must have truly done something wrong that he was unaware of, so he held out both his arms to willingly surrender to this man of law enforcement. Jason seemed a bit stunned for a moment that this giant of a man did not struggle before he shook his head and slapped the cuffs onto his wrists.

Once the handcuffs were securely around Tobias' wrists, Jason grabbed him and started leading him off in the direction of one of his hideouts, somewhere that this strange-looking man wouldn't be able to break out of.

"Rainbow, this is Blue Eagle, do you copy?" Jason held his hand up to his ear.

"Yeah. I copy. I also think you're completely moronic for picking those nicknames, you turd."

"...well I think my code names are great, thank you very much. You don't have to be so rude." Jason huffed, glancing up at Tobias.

Noticing that the other man was staring at him, Tobias blinked and nodded. "I think they are wonderful nicknames."

Jason stared at him for a moment, before shaking his head in mild disbelief.

"Who the hell was that I just heard? Do you have a new partner? His voice is like melted butter..." Anna seemed to swoon from the other end of the communication link, and Jason blinked in mild confusion.

"You're married, you can't say that."

"Nothing is stopping me. El and I swoon at pretty people all day. Get your gitch out of its knot and get with the times, old man."

"...you're older than I am."

"Uh huh, and what does that have to do with anything?"

Jason shook his head and sighed. "Regardless, this whole... argument, or whatever we are having here, is beside the point. I found the culprit of the murders."