~2~

The school was surrounded by forest on each side, a long drive way winding up the mountain was the only way to know which way to go.

A large Gate and picket iron fencing surrounded the school in attempts to protect it. It kept out wolves, bob cats, other dangerous things that only seemed to lurk at night...

"For gods sake, Abby!" Vie yelled at me, my eyes flickering to her agitated face. "You need to learn to focus. The teachers will be pissed if you're the same as last year. You ️Godda stay in realty, babe. You can't just float off to your own little world.."

I sighed, tilting my head back against the wall. "Whatever..." I glanced over at her, "Want to go for a walk? Get out of the dorm."

She nodded, getting off her bed quickly. "Let's go see if they opened the cafe yet!" She clapped her hands excitedly as she pulled me off the bed.

I wore lounge pants and a baggy gray hoodie, where Vie wore skinnie jeans and a tight fitting tank top. She was skinnier then me, and just looked better in clothes like that. I wasn't fat, but I wasn't a twig. I had curves, an hour glass shape; if you will. And my belly wasn't entirely flat, which depressed me but let's be honest, I was just to lazy to work out.

We walked outside, the sun beating warmly on our faces. It was Autumn, the trees were beginning to turn beautiful and ugly colors, the sweet smell of foliage hung in the air.

"I missed this place." I said quietly as we walked slowly from building to building.

"Did you? I did too." She gave me a knowing smile as she looked around at the trees.

We passed the light pole, my eyes opening wide as a chill shivered down my spine.

We were the only ones on campus so far, but I had a feeling we were being watched.

I looked around hesitantly, trying not to bed to noticeable. I didn't want Viola to worry.

I jerked my head, looking behind us. But here was no one there. My eyes scanned the tree line, but all I could see was the darkness that lied at the distance that I could no longer see.

"What lies in that darkness..." I said out loud, making Vie look at me with a worried expression.

"Not this again." She heave a sigh and wrapped an arm around my waist. "You need to calm down."

"I saw a man last night." I told her quietly, my eyes continued to scan around us.

"What?!" She whispered harshly. "And you're just telling- is that why you got in my bed?" Her hold on me tightened. "You must have been so scared..."

"I think he was at our window..." My brow pulled together in confusion. "But we don't have a window sill... Or anything he could have perched on..."

"Where did you see him?" She asked as she pulled the building door open.

I nodded back toward the lamp post- "he was standing back there... He had..." I tilted my head and stopped walking.

Now that I thought about it, I didn't see wings until I thought about him after. I couldn't even remember his eye color as he glanced at me, it was like I didn't see the real him until I didn't see him at all...

"Abby, let's go. I'm chilly..." But she wasn't. She was looking outside, her eyes scanning our surroundings just like I had been doing. It was always good to have someone who believed me.

We scurried through the halls, making our way to the cafe. The scent of coffee and muffins filled my nose with joy.

"Yes! They're open!" Vie yelled giddily. She ran off toward the counter as I took a seat in the corner at a small circular booth.