Chapter One

Characters in this book:

Derek Jackson (FBI team leader)

Dextar Darrell (FBI Agent)

Ava Downs (FBI Agent)

Staceey Dickson (FBI Techie)

Ricky Macello (retired FBI Agent)

Kyle Dequene (FBI task force leader)

Zavier Tyler (FBI Agent [genius])

Mia Scott (Former FBI Agent)

Michael Bishop (Bad guy formerly hunting Mia now deceased)

Samantha Jackson (Derek and Mia's daughter)

Jennifer "JJ" Johnson (FBI Agent)

Stephanie (Derek's girlfriend)

Jackson walked into the BAU... it had been a long week and he was tired. He glanced over into the bull pen to where his desk used to be. he tried to stop himself doing that everyday as it only reminded him of the agent who used to sit at the desk next to him. There were two new agents there now... Dextar Darrell and Ava Downs. They were part of his team. The team wore little resemblance to what it was four years ago. Only he and Dickson were left. Macello had retired, Dequene got his promotion, Tyler's brain was being used elsewhere in the Bureau and Mia, well she was gone too. Jackson often wished he hadn't accepted the position of Unit Chief and had moved on himself.... it never felt the same as back then, and there were too many memories.

Jackson sat in his office, leaned back in his chair and closed his eyes. His mobile phone rang and he considered not answering it, fearing it was another case. When he saw the name 'Josh Mason' on his screen however, he quickly picked up.

"Mason?"

"Hey Jackson, how you doing?"

"Overworked and underpaid. What's new?"

"I thought you'd want to know straight away.... we got Bishop."

"Really? Where is he?"

"In the morgue Jackson. Shoot out with the local cops. 15 bullets in his chest."

"Good.... so what now?"

"Case closed. He's dead. It's over."

"What about Scott?"

"You'll have to speak to Ramirez about that. You know that side's nothing to do with me."

"Of course. Well thanks for letting me know."

"No problem. Take care Jackson."

Josh Mason had been the lead agent working with Interpol and the Russian authorities trying to locate Bishop after he went on the run. Jackson had kept in contact with him over the years... at first everyday and then less and less over time as hope ran out.

He dialled Ramirez immediately.

"Hello?" The agent on the other end of the phone said.

"Hi. It's Derek Jackson."

"Oh Derek. I'm guessing you've heard about Bishop already then?"

"Just now.... what's happening now? With Mia I mean."

"C'mon man, you know I can't tell you anything."

"Is she ok? Can you at least tell me that?"

"Jackson, please don't push me on this. I know this must be frustrating for you but..."

Jackson didn't let him finish..."But he's dead now, he can't hurt her now right?"

"Yes... look all I can say is that she knows he's dead. What happens next is up to her."