Chapter three

Mia watched from the kitchen window as Derek played with their daughter. She wanted to give them some alone time so busied herself making cookies and cleaning everything in the kitchen! Every so often, she found herself just staring though. Derek was just as handsome as she remembered and she loved seeing that sexual grin again.

She watched Samantha as she stared at Derek intently, probably amazed at the fact she was looking at someone who looked just like herself....that she knew, he had never experienced.

After an hour or so had passed Mia took out a tray of sandwiches, cookies and milk and set them down on the garden bench..."Samantha, come and get something to eat sweetie."

The little girl sprinted over, ran into her legs and leant her head on her knees, out of breath from all the running around with Derek and Chester. She looked up at her and gave her a big grin.... Mia knew she was happy.

Derek watched Mia give Samantha a small plate with sandwiches on it, which were cut into triangles with no crusts. He smiled inside seeing a completely different side of her. Sure, she had always had a sweet and caring side when they weren't locking up bad guys, but this was different. This was motherhood.

Mia looked up at Derek..."Is this ok?" Signalling towards the food... "Do you want me to get you something else to drink?"

He sat down on the bench opposite Mia and Samantha... "No this is fine."

"So, you have fun playing with daddy sweetie?"

Having a mouth full of food, Samantha just nodded her head frantically.

Mia let out a little laugh and looked up to see Derek with the same look on his face. They exchanged a look of understanding. They both knew that this moment was precious... That they had created something incredible. The moment was quickly cut short however when Mia's parents walked through towards them.

After some small talk Mia spotted Derek looking at his watch... "Do you need to go? It's fine. I can drive you back if you like?"

"I do... I'm sorry. it's work."

He saw what he thought was a little disappointment in her face but he wasn't sure.

"No don't be sorry. Of course... Samantha, come say goodbye."

She jumped off her chair and hugged Derek's legs.... "Bye daddy."

Derek put his hand on his daughters head... "Bye baby. We'll play together real soon ok?"

Samantha nodded and ran off to play with Chester...

As they drove, Mia shifted a little in her seat... "Derek. I know your head is probably spinning right now, but I want you to know that there's no pressure here. I mean, I don't expect anything from you."

Derek's face turned from happy to a frown... "You don't expect anything from me?" She could hear a hint of hurt in his voice.

"What I mean is... well I mean I've just walked into your life after four years with our daughter. A daughter you never knew you had. I have no idea what is going on your life, so I didn't come here with the illusion everything would just fall into place."

"Do you think anything would stop me being a father to my daughter?"

"No. I didn't mean that. One thing I do know is that you will do absolutely the right thing for Samantha... no question..." Mia took a deep breath... "Oh god I'm just screwing this up aren't I?"

"I just don't understand what you mean."

"I mean we'll go at your pace Derek."

The mood was interrupted by Derek's phone again. He didn't even bother to look at it this time and let it ring out. As it did, he saw Mia shift awkwardly.