Chapter Twenty-Two

Dickson sat at the computer with Tyler and Deque standing behind her, going through the data she was bringing up regarding Stephanie's recent movements. Suddenly a little sniffle distracted he and she looked dwn to her right hand where Samantha was sat, sitll holding the My Little Pony firgures. She wasn't playing though. She just sat, head down and Dickson never would have noticed she was crying if it weren't for the tear she saaw land on the back oh her perfect little hand, leaving the tiniest of wet patches.

"Hey Samantha sweetie..."

The girl looked up at her, her big brown eyes staring back, full of tears. She had been silently crying, immediately making Dickson feel guilty as hell for not noticing before. She felt a hand on her shoulder, "Dickson, we got this. Take her away from this chaos for a bit." Deque said softly.

Not needing to be told twice, she immediately got up and picked Samantha off th chair, pulling her in tight to her chest.

"Come on sweetie, let's get you out of here." She carried her to one of the soft interview rooms made especially for children. Even though there were toys and a sofa in there, something still felt so clinical about it. These rooms could speak of so much misery, but it was the best they had.

Sitting on the sofa, she sat Samantha on her lap and put her arm tightly arounf her. "Samantha? Talk to me sweetie."

Sanamntha didn't move her little arms from around her neck and she could feel the wetness from her tears on her collarbone. She held hher for a while and then tried again, "Samantha, it's ok, tell me what's wrong."

She felt her taking a deep breath and then the smallest of voices began to talk, "I want my mummy." And just as she finished her sentence her voice broke and the sobs began again.

"I know baby. She'll be ack soon."

She pushed herself back so she could see Dickson's face. "You promise?" She said between sniffs.

Dickson's conscience was working overdrive. She knew she couldn't promise this. The girl had to trust her, so instead she smiled and looked her in the eyes, "Do you know what I used to do when I missed your mummy when the two of you went to Canada?"

She just stared at her.

"Well I talked about all the things that she did that made me happy. Let'a do that."

Still staring, Samantha gave a little shrug of the shoulders.

"Ok, I'll start... Your mummy makes me happy when she she gives me a big hug to say hello." Dickson said, almost feeling the warmth of Mia's hug arounf her.

"I like it when mummy hugs me too."

"I know you do... Can you remember the last time your mummy made you happy sweetie?"

She paused, looking up to the ceiling, contemplating her answer, "Mummy makes me happy everyday."

Dickson took deep breath trying to stop her own tears, "Tell me."

"She makes me pancakes for breakfast and draws funny faces on them with chocolate sauce... And if we have them she uses marshmalllows for eyes and a nose."

Dickson smiled and said softly, "What else..."

"And when I go to bed, mummy tickles me which makes me laugh and she tells me stories with silly voices."

"Really? What's your favourite story?"

"Uhmmm... Well when daddy had to work all the time and we didn't see him, mummy used to tell me a story about daddy being like superman and he'd beat all the baddiies and then fly from work and come to see us and play with us... That's my favourite..." A small smile started to creep across her little face.