Chapter Twenty

Samantha sat on a chair gripping tight onto the candy given to hre by Detective Harry Simmons' partner, Carrie Palmer. The girl had calmed down sonewhat now, taken in by the hustle and bustle of the local police station.

Derek stood with Simmons - The lead Detective on Mia's kidnapping - explaining everything he could remember of the past few months, continually glancing towards Samantha, unable to take his attention off her as if doing so would cause the girl to break down and disappear again.

"Derek, Harry, I've just heard from the officers who went to Stephanie Burn's house. No sign I'm afraid." Palmer informed them, with sympathy towards Derek.

Simmons looked from Palmer back to Jackson, "Derek, is there anywhere else that springs to mind that they could have gone to?"

Derek frowned, frantcally trying to get his mind to settle and think straight, "I... I don't know... Look I know this isn't an FBI case, but the technical analyst from my team is on the way here to help give some background to Stephanie and look after Samantha. She is the best in the business. Would you mind if we used her to do the background work on Stephanie? She will have it done in no time."

Palmer looked towards Simmons and shrugged her shoulder, "Your call Harry."

Simmons paused to think. This would be unusual but he knew it would save time. Their resources were already stretched. "Ok, but Derek, I have to maintain jurisdiction on this. You do understand that? You're way too personally involved to make any calls on this."

Derek nodded, "I know, I know..."

Simmons couldn't help but feel he was going to have a battle on his hands here. Not that he could blame Derek... This was his family. He'd do exactly the same.

As if on cue Dickson and JJ made their way into the office.

"Detective Simmons, Palmer, these are Agents Dickson and Johnson."

Simmins looked towards Derek, eyebrows raised, "Exactly how many of your team are coming?"

"They are both witnesses... They had dealings with Stephanie and Mia over the past few weeks."

"Ok, well Agent Dickson, we have some workspace over here for you if you'd like to set up. Agent Johnson, can you tell Detective Palmer everything you recall please."

"Of couse." JJ nodded as she shot Derek a concerned look. As she went to walk away she put a gentle hand on his arm, "We'll find her, don't worry Derek." She whispered. Derek tried to force a smile, but it didn't come. Instead he looked back over to Samantha who was no longer there. He watched as Detective Simmons pulled the chair over to where Samantha was now, clinging on to Dickson as she tried to work around her.

Derek made her way over and prised the girl away, "Hey baby listen, Aunty Staceey has got to do some work to help find mummy."

"But I want to stay with her." She said, the tears starting to form once again.

Dickson looked up to him, "Samantha, if you want you can sit on the chair next to me ok?"

Samantha nodded, wriggled off Derek and jumped onto the chair as Dickson rustled in her bag. Derek watched and a small smile appeared whe she saw the two My Little Pony figures she produced. They were the ones Tyler had given her when he left, that she kept on her desk with all the other mementos she had collected over the years.

Whilst Samantha was distracted by the figures Simmons and derek hovered over Dickson.

"Agent Dickson, can you find ot if she's linked to any other property locally or has family."