One

Minjeong's view

"Mom bye! See you later! Love yah!" I shouted as I picked up my pack of food prepared by my mom.

"Okay honey! Take care! I love you too!" I heard my mom shouted then quickly got out from our house.

Good thing, a bus stopped not long after so I hoped in, with my positive energy I had. Soon enough, I finally arrived on the coffee shop where I was currently working in as a waitress. The moment I peeked my head on the door, I immediately saw my co-workmate, Aeri was already inside.

By the way, me and Aeri were working students. I was in my last year in high school while she was in her second year in college.

I would have been in college like Aeri if my father hadn't died two years ago. Me and my mother was so devastated because of that. We lost everything my parents had including our business. I also stopped going to school and eventually lost all of my old friends which affected my mental health. It lasted for months until I saw this coffee shop while walking. I decided to apply here but my mom disagreed with the idea that I would work. At the end, with my persistent to help my mother to pay our bills and continue my study, she let me decided for myself. I was so glad that I met Aeri here and immediately made friends with her.

I headed inside the comfort room and changed my clothes into our uniform. I made my hair into a ponytail style then looked at the mirror to check if I looked presentable.

When I was done, I made my way to Aeri "Good morning Riri!" I greeted.

"Morning" she greeted back but she looks like not in a good mood today.

"Hey are you okay?" I asked her worriedly. We knew each other for 2 months now but this was the first time I saw her in this state.

She lifted up her head to look at me to see her eyes red and swelling. I think she cried hard last night until this morning.

"Omg Riri" I gasped when I saw her face then gave her my warmest hug. "What happened? Did someone hurt you?"

She hugged me back and there she started bursting into tears as she hid her face on my shoulder.

She didn't answer me and just cried for about 3 minutes. I caressed her back to comfort her.

"Thank you Minjeong and sorry for that mess" she said when she stopped crying. I was still worried on her because she looks so devastated.

"No problem Riri, you can tell me what happened. I'm willing to help you" I said then gave her a napkin.

"My mom and I had an argument yesterday because she caught me having a phone call with my father. She even warned me that she will kick me out of our house if she see me again talking to my father. I knew she's still having a hard time because of my father's mistake before but I think it's selfish of her if she will continue banning me to communicate to him. I mean he's still my father and I have the rights to talk with him" Aeri explained and I felt her pain because like her I really missed my father for everyday.

I gave her another tight hug. "I hope your mom will open her mind and heart again to forgive your father and let you have a connection again with him" I said.

-

This day was tiring but still lucky because we had our overtime because there were no classes in the afternoon so overtime means extra money.

"Bye Riri! I'll see you tomorrow!" I bid goodbye to her as we both exited the coffee shop. I noticed that she zoned out more than once today but I knew she was trying to be okay. I hoped tomorrow would be better for her.

I proceeded on the bus stop. While waiting for a bus, my phone vibrated. I rummaged through my bag then took my phone out. The moment I saw my phone's screen, my eyebrows knitted.

"DOWNLOAD COMPLETED" it read. Download? I haven't open my phone this afternoon yet so what's this?

I opened the said application and it was kind of a social networking site. I explored it then suddenly remembered that I was searching my homework last night and I forgot to turn off my wifi. Maybe it automatically connected to the coffee shop's free wifi that was why this application was automatically downloaded.

I was about to open it but a bus halted on my front so I turned off my phone as I went inside the bus. I plugged in my earphone and played some of my favorite Kpop songs while resting my head on the bus' window.

-

I looked at the wall clock and it was still 9:49 PM. Since I was already done doing my night routine, I decided to use my phone first before I sleep. I usually sleep at 11 or 12 in the midnight because I was having a hard time to sleep early. Using my phone before bedtime was also part of my routine so that my eyes would feel heavy after and that would help me sleep easily.

As my phone connected to our wifi, a notification popped out. It was from the application that I accidentally downloaded when I was still on the coffee shop.

"WOULD YOU LIKE TO CREATE AN ACCOUNT?"

The application caught my attention the first time I saw it. After my father died, I also been inactive on using my social medias so without hesitation, I clicked the "YES" button. After clicking the "YES" button, the application asked me for an alyas/username. I thought it for a minute until I remembered my childhood friend's nickname to me. It was Winter, so I typed "Winter Kim" then proceeded to the next question. The next one was "CREATE YOUR OWN AVATAR" I proceeded again then created my own version of avatar. My avatar has a long pink hair. I made her wear a pink dress with a touch of violet and to sum it up, I chose a white boots for her.

This application was like any other social medias. You can chat or message people but you can't post any pictures here. It will suggest you some people to chat too using your location.

I waited for any person to chat on but no one did. Sooner, I felt my eyes became heavy so I looked at the time in the right side of my phone screen and it was already 11:59 PM.

I was about to log out my account when a notification popped, "1 MESSAGE RECEIVED"

I got panicked as I didn't know what to do next. It was my first time receiving a message from an unknown person. I should prepare myself for this.

I stared to the notification and started arguing to myself whether I would open the message or not. Suddenly, my phone vibrated again and it almost fell on my face. The person who messaged me sent another message.

My hands were shaking as I opened the message. The person was a she and her name was Karina Yoo.

-
A/n: This was my first book here and I thought of editing it. I hope you enjoyed reading this though.