Chapter 5: Packing for Raelyn

It has been a week since my mom found the key and I had to get packed for Raelyn! I hadn't forgot about the trip, but I did forget to pack. 

"When are we leaving, mom?" I asked.

"Tomorrow morning YOU are leaving..." She pointed at me when she said you, "I am not going."

Oh yea, I forgot that she wasn't coming. I am sure that if she did come she would get bit by a bug and blame it on me for "making" her go, so it was probably better that she wasn't coming. She was more of a "stay inside" sort of person, which was definitely the opposite of me because I love the outdoors! 

Back to packing.... here is my list!

-2 hoodies

-2 leggings

-3 socks

-2 jeans

-bug spray (mom insists I use it)

-Water

-lots of snacks

-my water bottle

-2 shirts

-Tent

-Pillow

-sleeping bag

And a bunch of other random stuff that I might need. OK it was time to pack!!! I quickly ran upstairs and swept up my black Adidas duffle bag from outside my bedroom door. 

*HOUR LATER*

"Phew," I sighed, "Hey mom, guess what?!" After about a minute of her not responding I ran down the stairs with my duffle bag filled with my camping stuff. 

"Mom?" I shouted, waiting for an answer.

I repeated myself 6 times before I knew that she wasn't home. Where else would she be? In the car maybe? I checked the garage, but she wasn't there and her car was. That is weird.... where else could she be? I checked the WHOLE entire house and then last but not least, I checked outside. At first I couldn't find her but then...... I saw her!!! And once again I couldn't believe what she was doing. It was Mac! And my mom was talking to her!

"Mom!! There you are." I called to her.

"Excuse me, young lady." my mom said to Mac, turning around to face me.

"Mom? Is everything o-"

"Mac said that you damaged her mothers car, explain!" She said cutting me off.

"How?" I looked into Mac's soul wanting to get so mad at her for LYING.

"OH..." Mac said acting surprised as if I should remember.

"Don't you remember?" She said glancing at mom and then back at me. "You're the girl that hit my moms car with her longboard!" She said, acting like I meant to. "Reckless..." She whispered.

"Oh mom! It was a stop sign! Her mom didn't stop for the stop sign! And then..." I trailed off into telling my mom about EVERYTHING that happened. 

"Ok." she said approvingly.

She agreed that I wasn't being reckless!! But what was she gonna do now? And then by the upset angered face, I could tell she was mad at Mac's mom for not stopping at the stop sign. 

"May I speak to your mother?" My mom said sharply, and Mac quickly nodded her head. "Would today work?"

"Uhhmmm..." Mac said weakly.

"3:30." Mom said, grabbing my arm bringing me back inside. 

"See daughter, thats how you make an appointment." First off I hate when she calls me daughter... just daughter.... I have a name! And I disagree completely. That is not how you make an appointment! Definitely not....

"Uhh... hey mom."

"What daughter?"

"I packed."

"Good..."

"Also..."

"What?"

"Uhh... never mind," I was going to say thats not how you make an appointment but she wouldn't care about what I say.

"Dads home, go annoy him instead."

Why did she say annoy? I have to say... she makes me really sad. I ran over to the garage door and there was dad!!! I loved dad. He was my favorite dad I could ever have. 

"Hello sweetie, how was your day?"

"Well I packed for Raelyn!" I said smiling.

"That's great! Do you know what we are having for diner?"

"Uhm, I'm not really sure..."

"Ok, love you." He kissed my head and walked inside, and I followed him.

When we walked in I saw mom standing there, arms crossed acting like we both really were in trouble. 

"What is it honey?" Dad said to mom.

"Oh don't act stupid," she said shaking her head in disapproval.

"Mom what did we do?" She walked away..... as you have probably already noticed, my mom is a liiiitttlleee bit annoyed. I have no idea why though! I felt like I did something wrong... I don't think I did though. Gotta find out... gotta find out... gotta find out... kept ringing in my head. 

I followed her into the kitchen and then after some time I asked, "Mom, what is wrong?" She looked at me and said, "You know that little lady, Mac?" I nodded yes and she went on, "She acted so precious to me. Why can't you do the same, daughter?"

I stared at her numbly not showing any expression. My mom is so nice, BUT when you are on her bad side you're dead. So as you can see I am on her bad side, most likely. My dad is almost exactly the opposite of her. (Is always so nice no matter what, even in situations that most people would be mad in) He is an amazing dad and I love him so much! 

After thinking all that I turned to the staircase leading to my room and slowly walked upstairs. It was a boring life of mine, most of the time. I grabbed my phone and asked Addison if she could FaceTime, and she said yes. This is the worst FaceTime call ever, because it delivered the worst news this month... actually make that this whole year. 

"Hey Ad-" She was crying.

"Addison, are you ok?" I asked, concerned. She wasn't answering and I was getting worried. She wasn't talking just.... crying with no end. All of the sudden...

She hung up, and then my dad walked in the room immediately after. I looked at my dad with a confused face and then he started crying! My own dad is crying right there in my room at the doorway.

"What is going on?!" I asked, fear filling my face. Did someone die? It sure seemed like it, but everyone I know is perfectly healthy! 

"It's..." he paused reconsidering what he was gonna say, "It's a very hard topic, sweetie." He said wiping the tears from his eyes. I was so confused.... what happened?! JUST SPIT IT OUT!

Shutting the door and sitting on my bed, he told me the terrible TERRIBLE news. Someone died... and not just anyone.... it was Addison's mom. 

Addison's mom was dead.

I could hardly process what was going on. Addison's mom, the one that had always made us lunch when we hung out was..... I didn't even realize it but I was crying. Me... the not emotional one was crying. My head hung low, and the tears draining from my eyes dripped down and stung at my dry cracked open lips. 

My dad didn't tell me how it happened exactly, but all I knew was that Addison.... ADDISON!!! Oh my gosh...

"And.... Addison's little brother saw it all." What all???? What happened!? Hurry up dad tell me!

"Dad tell me how, please." I said, tearing up again.

"It was an active shooter." He said, rubbing my shoulder.