Who Am I Really To You?

Authored by: remuwuchan

CHAPTER 21

"Where have you been?" Masaki asked with a serious tone, something that Reiyu has never heard before. He had his arms crossed and his expression looked like he was ready to snap but was just holding himself back.

Reiyu suddenly felt nervous upon seeing him like that. She knew that she was in trouble for coming home late after telling him that she's going to be quick. Feeling guilty, she breathed deeply and walked to him. "Masaki-chan, I'm sorry I took longer than expected, I was stranded in the rain-"

"Who's that?" he cut her off. Reiyu's heart was racing. She hasn't felt like this since the last time Tatsuya scolded her. His stare was intense, so intense that Reiyu felt like she's gonna melt, similar to when Tatsuya used to give her "the look". Masaki scoffed.

"You're hanging out with an Oya?" he asked while continuing to glare at her. 

He was worried sick waiting for her to come back. He told himself that whatever her reason is, he'll try to understand her. Seeing her with Todoroki is one thing, but seeing them kiss made something in him snap. He felt upset, angry, hurt, and also felt helpless.

"What are you doing with an Oya? That full-time student?" Masaki scowled. 

Reiyu was quite confused as to why Masaki's concern was about Todoroki rather than her going home late but she set that thought aside. Even though Reiyu had a valid reason for coming home late, she still felt bad for causing him to worry.

"Gomenasai..." she apologized, just above a whisper. She knew that just a simple sorry wouldn't cut it, but she still decided to give it a try. Masaki's unchanging angry eyes indicated that she was right.

Masaki stared into her eyes, piercing through her. His body was calm but his eyes were on fire. Her apology irritated him more than it calmed him. The more he remembers the thing he witnessed, the more furious he gets. At some point, the thought almost reached his limit, making him clench his fist and slam the wall behind him.

"Get inside," he said while pointing at the door. He stopped looking at Reiyu as he fears that the feeling of being upset might overwhelm him.

Reiyu nodded and quickly went inside after his command. She dropped the paper bag on the table and looked around the room, searching for the younger Amamiya. He was nowhere to be seen.

She took a deep breath and decided to risk it and ask Masaki about Hiroto's well-being. She turned to look at Masaki. 

"How's Hiroto?" she asked, still being cautious with her volume.

"He's sleeping," he shortly replied, still not looking at her. He tossed his phone and wallet on the table carelessly, not caring if his phone shatters.

Reiyu gained the courage to talk back to him. She knew she was at fault but she didn't want him to misunderstand her. Especially now that they've just begun to get along.

"Masaki, I'm sorry. I won't do it again," she apologized once more, trying to sound as sincere as she can. If this happened two years ago, Reiyu wouldn't apologize for something like this. However, recent events forced her to mature much quicker.

Masaki ignored her, making Reiyu feel very anxious. However, she continued to call for him, "Masaki..." 

Her hands were turning cold. She did not know how to make it up for him as she's not used to being in this kind of situation. For one last attempt, she touched his arm, 

"Masa-"

"Stop it!" he cried. He was already at his limit and Reiyu pushed him further by getting in contact with him. It's the only thing that makes him feel soft and he didn't want that to happen because he was mad.