A Small Piece of Home

warnings: Brief Mention of parental death.

Takes place about two years after the Battle Of Hogwarts, around 2000

---------------------------------------------------------------

It was your first day at work. Nothing too extreme. You couldn't keep living off the small amount of money you received after your mother passed. No, you needed to do something. Literally anything.

Enough time had passed that you were finally settling into a comfortable routine. Moving anywhere wasn't a fun experience. Moving to a whole new country to be closer to the few scatter relatives you had was even less so. But it did have it's perks. Your aunt would invite you over for dinner some weekends and she would always send you with leftovers so you wouldn't have to cook for a few days. You were slowly starting to save whatever was left of your relationship with your father. So yeah, things were getting better.

Sure you felt out of sorts a little, the wizarding world here was so different from America, but you were adjusting. And that's what led you here.

The ad in the Daily Prophet had been bright and colorful. It stood out among the plain black ink of all the other ones. "Stocker/ sales needed at Weasley's Wizarding Wheezes". Seemed easy enough. You had worked customer service before. So after sending an owl loaded with the answers to some questions you received one back a few days later asking if you could start right away.

You took a deep breath as you pushed open the door and had to stop yourself for letting out a gasp. The shop was amazing. It was so full of color and had this light hearted energy that you never wanted to leave. Even when empty, this place almost seemed to have a heartbeat of its own. You were just looking around at everything when a voice called out

"Ah. You must be y/n, right?" Someone called from one of the higher floors. You looked around for the voice but couldn't seem to find where it came from. A small laugh left your lips as you responded with a simple "yes".

"You're a little earlier than I thought you would be" You found the source of the voice a few floors above you. A tall red-head was hanging over the banister smiling down at you.

"Oh, yeah. The place was easier to find then I thought it would be. I'm still getting used to the area." You shouted, probably a bit too loudly, in his general direction.

"Nothing wrong with that. George is still wrapping up some new products, I can show you where they go when he's done. Oh I'm Fred by the way." He said cooly, matching your loud voice. It made you laugh again.

You kept wandering around, trying to take in all the names and descriptions of the numerous items in the store. Growing more and more impressed as you inspected everything that was around you.

"Those are probably my favorite thing in here." A voice said from behind you, causing you to let a surprised scream and drop the small flesh-colored ear.

"Oh shoot. Sorry" You say bending down to pick up the ear.

"Didn't mean to startle you. I'm George by the way." You had to do a double take when you looked at him before it clicked in your head. The owl said he and his brother owned the shop. Twins. You gave him a small smile and stuck out your hand.

"Y/n" He chuckled, a deep grumply sound.

"I would hope so." George said as he took your hand and gave it a little shake. "Here. Let me show you where these things go and then we can open." You noticed the brightly colored boxes he was carrying under one arm and offered to take some from him. He brushed you off and started pushing various boxes on the shelves, explaining the general order of what goes in each section of the shop.