~32~

Memories of the past flooded through Liz's mind at the sight of her childhood home. She wished she could say they were memories of a happier time, but if she was being honest, there wasn't a happier time in her life than the times when she was with Avan.

The swing on the porch looked older and so much smaller than she remembers it. The white paint was chipping off the wooden material and the metal seemed a little rusty. She remembers a time when the porch used to be her fortress from the imaginary forest nymphs she would make believe. Now, it was nothing but a rickety old thing with memories of yonder.

"I wanna go back to New York," she whispers as Avan held her hand in his, intertwining their fingers like roots of the same tree.

"I know," he gives her a sympathetic squeeze on the hand. "But we're here now, my Liz. We'll just have to get this over with, okay? You're a strong girl. You can do it."

"I don't wanna see him again, babe," she mumbles.

"I thought we weren't going to call each other babe?" he teasingly smirks at her before laughing it off and slinging his arm around her shoulders. "I'll be right here with you, Liz. I promise, you don't have to do this alone, okay?"

"Okay," she nods, leaning her head back against his forearm. "And to answer your question, I can call you babe; but, you have to say my name."

"That's unfair. I wanna say babe too," he laughs before being silenced by her elbow against his ribs.

Raven, dressed in a light blue dress that matched her eyes, ran out the main door as fast as she could to greet her sister. The little girl launches herself to her sister's legs and throws her arms around her lower body. Her hair was pinned back into two small braids that looked like a crown around her head whilst the rest of her locks cascaded down her back.

"Hi, Rae," Liz chuckles. "I'm guessing you missed me."

"I did!" she bounced and let go of her sister's legs before turning her head to Avan. "Why is he here?"

"I brought him along with me."

"Why?"

"Because I wanted to, love bug," she shakes her head.

"But why?"

"Because," Liz chuckles. "I needed an emotional support animal but the shelter didn't have any animals left so I brought Avan instead."

"Ouch," Avan claps his hand over his chest. "You're denying me in front of your sister?"

"What does he mean 'denying', Sissy?" Raven stares up curiously at the taller couple before her.

"It means he's a dumb boy but your sister still caught feelings anyway," Liz rolls her eyes.

"I don't get it."

"I'm her boyfriend, Rae," Avan chuckles.

Raven screeches in surprise, being the slightly overdramatic child that she was. She stares with wide eyes at Avan and immediately starts bouncing up and down, raising her hands up for him to carry her. Avan scoops her up into his arms, groaning at her weight silently.

"Does that mean he gets to be my brother now?"

"Uhm," Liz chuckles awkwardly, trying not to scare her boyfriend off with her sister's futuristic mindset.

"Well, not yet," Avan answers for her. "But someday."

Raven nods excitedly, sending her locks bouncing against her head. She wriggles out of Avan's hold and grasps tightly on both their hands before dragging them into the house.