Surf's up!

Emerson.

It's far too bright in here. Sunlight streams in through the blinds as I yawn and stretch, my arm bushing against something warm and unfamiliar and my blood runs cold as images of all the rather "interesting (read : deadly)" Aussie animal life flits through my mind, playing a quick slideshow of my death across my still closed eyelids.

So this is it. This is how I go.

Slowly pulling my arm back to me with eyes still closed, I wait for the inevitable feeling of pierced skin, but instead I feel nothing.

I hear laughter.

"Wom Wom, she's not met you yet."

A thick Australian accent hits my ears, a feminine one.

Daring to open my eyes, an unmistakable woman is standing at the foot of the bed, laughing and cradling an animal I've never seen before.

Her eyes crinkle like his.

Only now do I remember that I hadn't gone to sleep alone and I glance around the room.

"He's gone out with his little brother," she answers, noting my confusion. Propping the animal up in her arms she goes "this is Wom Wom, the family wombat."

"Oh." Is all I can muster, feeling my heartbeat lower just a touch.

Laughing again, she turns to leave the room while calling out that she'll see me for breakfast in a few. Taking this time too look around Ash's room, I smile at his prized box of broken drum sticks and drum pads. Gifts from fans and pictures from all over the world are lined up on shelves and spilling out of boxes. 

His room is a comfortable mess and it would be soothing if I wasn't so deathly afraid that spiders or snakes were hiding away in the clutter.

Everything in Australia can kill you.

Almost as if on cue, the door flies open and a little boy, maybe 9 or 10, comes running in followed by Ash. The boy climbs up on the bed with his sneakers and Ash watches my face contort in distress.

He knows I hate shoes and outside clothes in the bed and that I forbid him from doing it in the beds we share. Looking over at him, he raises an eyebrow at me and shakes his head.

Jerk.

The boy, who says his name is Harry, plops down on the pillow next to me and begs me to talk Ashton into a beach day with him and his sister, Lauren, who I had met last night. A beach day sounds amazing... Until they start talking about surfing.

"Hey guys..." I say in a small voice, "I can't swim."

Two sets of eyes turn to me as Ash laughs and ruffles his brothers hair. "We'll go to the pool instead." Nodding at the concession, Harry runs out of the room as Lauren follows behind, typing away on her phone. 

"They hate me now." I groan, flopping backwards on the bed. "In a surfing country and can't surf, way to go Em."Ashton sighs before flopping back on the bed. Turning to face me, he plays with my curls before speaking in a low voice.   "I can't swim either."   Bursting out laughing, he pretends to be offended by my laughter before kissing my head and sitting up to pull me out of the bed to take the young ones to the pool.

-

Hey! Sorry we've been missing for so long... Life happens. Hope to get back on schedule and have story postings up regularly.

.Harleeblk