Chapter 8. Crescent's First Job

Days passed in what felt like an eternity, but the more time went on, the better he became. The nurse's office had been home base. Crescent remained there under her surveillance. Her determination lowered his risk of harming himself even further.

Ahni brought all the required materials for each of his classes and was often kicked out because he overstayed. Locked out and whining through the nurse's door didn't get him back in. Strict, the nursing regime for healing, was like a mother's tough love. It worked. Crescent checked out with a clean bill of health.

Seating in the cafeteria, the two young men laugh at old jokes, Crescent describing what it was like being in the nurses' office. Things are back on track according to Ahni. A grape pops into his mouth. Ahni leans back in his chair, stretching his long limbs and letting out a hard exhale while chewing.

"No more getting injured, all right?" Ahni chuckles to himself as he moves the weight of his legs to rest on the back of his heels. Ahni wavers back and forth, his eyes watching Crescent with humor and a little glint of hope that he will listen for once. His brother has returned to his side. Separated and having to sleep in a dark room alone was enough to force him into madness and it often did when he woke up sweating.

Crescent rolls his eyes. He knows he can't promise Ahni that. Sometimes significant things take place. This world mirrors the life on the streets, except now Crescent's forming a notoriety.

Quick, a glance at his hand, which lingers over his cup of applesauce, Crescent flexes fingers, his bottom lip gathers between his teeth. A small sucking noise peers into the air. What's more meaningful than the life they are smooth sailing for?

After checking out, he sent a text message to the informant of the gang. It was turned over to Asho, Crescent was ready for whatever job they would allow him. Time wasn't his friend, because he desired something to do.

With the gauntlet vanishing behind him, he called for another occasion to shift the school's attention toward him. The eyes of his pupils seemed to have strayed, and life relaxed too much. He hungered to be in the storm. 

Bzz. Bzz.

Crescent's phone vibrates inside his pocket, releasing a quick gasp through clenched teeth. As he reaches for it, he gives the ranting Ahni a small wave to hush before he opens the message that blinks repeatedly. The contact that resides at the top is the informant.

Crescent opens it to see two paragraphs, written in extensive detail about what he has to do. Skipping formalities and getting straight to the point, the disconnection in the long text is compared to ordering a disposable human being around.

"Ahni, I got a job." He raises the phone and spins the screen around so that Ahni can skip the text before pulling it back, eyes reading the beginning.

'There's a backpack in your locker. Take it. After class, you will report to the gymnasium and remain unseen beneath the bleachers. Once the occupants enter the gym take the digital camera and compile the needed information. Do not be late. Do not get caught!'

Crescent memorizes the smaller details, making sure to repeat them inside his head. Leaning over slightly, Ahni tries to read the text as well, but he accidentally bumps Crescent with his shoulder, bringing him from his device. Crescent turns towards Ahni, removing his phone from view.

"What kind of job?" Ahni asks, placing even more of his weight against his brother for an answer. Crescent leans with him to give a little distance, but the weight causes him to grunt, cold eyes cutting towards Ahni who's looking innocent of his heaviness. Crescent lets out a small sigh, looking up towards the ceiling. Thoughts of wanting to sucker punch Ahni's horrible expression plague intrusive thoughts. None of this is Ahni's concern. As long as Crescent paves the way to a better experience, Crescent sees no point in telling Ahni everything.