Chapter 10. Perverted Kisha?

Crescent fishes around in his pocket for his wallet while Ahni stares at the menu in awe, a slight line of drool falling from the corner of his lips. All the delicious-looking dishes-- mouth-watering. Eating the academy lunch food is boring. They receive enough to keep going, but Crescent's craving something more greasy and unhealthy.

"Just chips and a chocolate candy bar. Is that ok Crescent?"

Ahni's low voice sends Crescent to turn his head and look over his shoulder with an eyebrow raised. He feels the sudden rush of disappointment, the same actions repeated since they were children. Ahni never changed. The way he carries himself, his pleading, begging expression. He wants more, he's afraid to say it.

As big as he is, he eats the equivalence of a bird whenever Crescent asks him to eat. If given the opportunity, someone else asks what Ahni wants, he appears with plates big enough to feed a few people. He isn't shy of getting seconds either.

"Get something; enough to keep you from hunger. I can cover it." Crescent rolls his eyes. The guilt of being broke growing up never ceases to take over. Ahni is the embodiment of that hesitation. Sometimes Crescent wishes that Ahni will let it all go, but then who will be there to haunt him of his mistakes? 

"Better yet," Crescent raises his hand to wave at the male behind the counter, flashing him the twenty he pulled from his pocket.

"Give him the same, but can you add a few more mozzarella sticks? My brother here is growing." Crescent wants to sound like a doting older brother.

A glance from the owner, wandering eyes from head to toe as he watches Crescent curiously, in disbelief. Sensitive to judgment and always on guard, Crescent instantly scowls at the expression the older shopkeeper is handing him. Old people aren't safe from his fists. A soft sigh brings the man's attention back to the dangling twenty. The money is taken; the two brothers are left alone as the old man vanishes in the back.

Small, the stand is decorated well. A few festival designs, followed by pictures of hanging meals and prices. Made of wood, wheels looked shabby and too old to move. A brick wedged on the side of the cart in fear of it rolling downhill. This is a street stand, a local spot and cheaper than a restaurant; Crescent found the reviews online. Ahni, rocking back and forth, looks at him with concern when their eyes met.

"Don't start," Crescent warns, but that goes on deaf ears when Ahni's face reflects a melted sad dog.

"We snuck out of the academy. The gates will soon close and you expect me to be ok with that?" Ahni's concerned voice only irritates Crescent even more.

"First, I said we will be back. Second, stop whining. You're bigger than me and you don't see me whining."

The two brothers snuck outside the school. Classes ended, but Crescent wanted something before the gates closed. Ahni had a fit, and yet here he was. Not liking authority figures, Ahni avoids adults with specific job titles. As kids, they were targets of such attention because they ended up in trouble. Ahni wants that behind them.

A few moments later the older gentleman comes up holding two bags, each bag harvesting a box with their food in it. Ahni's bag has the extra chip and chocolate candy bar. Crescent receives the items and the change.

Turning on his heels, he waves to his brother to follow. Cramped behind four walls after years without is upsetting. The custom of waking up early to stare at another individual telling them what to do. Uncomfortable clothes are a requirement for looking smart.

It's tedious. The brothers find themselves in an adjacent park, small, but private. Large, thick bushes decorated around two benches. The smell of grass and bush shavings blows with the faint breeze as it kicks Crescent's senses to a familiar smell-- being outdoors. Crescent ducks beneath the hanging welcoming sign, he wanders to the seats. The two relax, Crescent handing his brother his bag of food.