Part 2

Asfandyar entered his home. He was dead tired after the duty of thirty six hours but that was not something that could bother him.

He looked around and saw his parents sitting sipping tea.

"Assalamualaikum," he greeted with a small smile.

"Walaikum assalam", came a reply from his mother. Lubna Usman was having a constant fear that her son was getting too harsh on himself and this was now affecting his life. She wanted him to settle down but asfand had never been cordial with the relationship that would bring a change in his life.

"Kaisa raha din Asfi, kafi thake hue lag rahe ho," Lubna said seeing the tired face of her son.

Asfand came and hugged his mother.

"Tired toh hounga hi na mama, aapka beta ek doctor hai aur hospital mein time dena padta hai.." he said with a small smile.

"Haan jaanti hun mera beta ek responsible doctor hai par apna bhi khayal rakha karo. Chalo ab jaldi se fresh ho jao, mein khana lagati hun tumhare liye," Lubna ushered asfi and he smiled.

Asfandyar looked at his father who was smiling seeing the duo.

"Baba aap hass rahe hain mere upar.  Mama aaj bhi mujhe chota samajhti hain," he complained and it was something that they have witnessed after ages.

There was a slight change in asfand's voice. He was though tired but he was having that tone that they had been yearning to hear from last five years.

"Ab dekho asfand tum jaano aur tumhari mama..." Usman Ali Khan replied with a straight face trying to hide the emotions that were making there way after ages.

"Chale yeh bhi theek hai,"

Asfandyar's words were heard by Gaiti who was coming with saim having his book and notebook.

"Chotu ye sab kya hai," asfand asked his nephew who was not in the mood to complete his homework and one look at his bhabhi asfandyar knew to not sympatize with saim.

"Asfi bas koi saim se baat nahi karega aajkal bahut naughty ho gaya hai ye," Gaiti said looking at saim.

"Jaisa aap kahen," asfi replied and went from there, looking apologetically at his nephew.

***

Saim was busy with his homework that he insisted that he would do with his dada and Usman sahab was more than happy to oblige with his grandson.

Gaiti has asked lubna that she would serve asfand and now asfand was waiting for the his Roti's gaiti bhabhi insisted that she would make fresh.

Gaiti served him and asfand thanked her.

"Bhabhi aapne aise hi takaluf kiya," asfand said as gaiti sat infront of him and served some rice in his plate.

"Asfi isme konsa takaluf hai aur waise bhi mujhe pata hai ki tum apni sehat par bilkul dhyan dete ho. din me kam se kam ek waqt ka khana toh tum garam khao," Gaiti replied as asfand focused on his food.

"Thank you bhabhi, khana bahut hi lazeez hai," he complimented her.

Gaiti smiled in response and sipped her green tea.

"Waise bhabhi Pakistan aake ek fayda toh hua hai, khana bana banaya milta hai aur saare kaam kiye hue milte hain," asfand said as he helped gaiti in cleaning.

"Asfi shadi karlo fayde double ho jayenge. Jab koi hoga tumhara khayal rakhne wala, tumhari fikar karne wala toh zindagi itni berang nahi lagegi,"gaiti tried to start a conversation that Lubna had been failed multiple times.

Asfandyar was like her brother, she has been grown up with him and she couldn't see him in endless agony that he wasn't letting go.

"Ye baat zaroor apko mama ne karne ke liye kaha hoga," he exclaimed without any expression.

"Asfi, main jaanti hun ki jo hua usse tumhari zindagi bhi badal gayi lekin agar tum aaj bhi Faryal ki wajah se aage nahi badh pa rahe ho toh isse mama, baba, mujhe aur sabse jyada Daniyal ko dukh hoga. Daniyal ko lagta hoga ki unki wajah se..

Asfand looked at his bhabhi and the tears that escaped her eyes even made him feel like he was responsible for making his family feel like this, mainly he was letting their thoughts drift over his deceased brother who wasn't even there to defend him.

"Bhabhi aap janti hai bhaiyya galat nahi the.. aur jo kuch bhi us waqt hua wo sab ALLAH ne chaha tha isliye hua. Faryal meri zindagi mein ab koi mayne nahi rakhti hai.. shayad uss waqt mein bahut gussa tha usse, shayad kuch waqt mujhe shadeed gam bhi tha lekin wo sab ab kuch mayne nai rakhta. Bhabhi hum use dosh nahi de sakte, wo ek aise khandaan ka hissa nahi ban sakti thi jo ruswai mein ghiri thi us waqt lekin isme uski galti nahi thi, shayad meri hi thi.. zidd karke mangni ki thi maine, aur zidd kabhi kabhi zindagi ko shadeed dukh deti hai..

Asfandyar's words made Gaiti realise that they were broken but somewhere Asfand's pain was more, she had lost husband, her life partner but asfandyar had lost his brother, his companion, his friend and his love. The trust that was important for the relationship he has lost it.

"Asfi..," gaiti tried but the emotions that were making her all heavy in her throat made their way in the form of tears from her eyes.

"Bhabhi, mohabbat se dar lagta hai mujhe, kisi par bharosa karne se dar lagta hai.. meri ek galti ki wajah se aaj bhi mama baba pareshaan rehte hai.. kahin na kahin unka bharosa tuta tha meri wajah se. Chacha jaan ka hamare se talukaat tutne ka gham kam hota agar mera aur faryal ka koi taluk nai hota...," Saying so asfandyar moved from there.

Unknown to both of them, Usman sahab had been standing there listening to asfand speaking and the pain that was gripping his younger son was something that he couldn't even lessen..

He was unfortunate that he couldn't gave his son the solace that trust that would make him open up with him. He was still having regret for not understanding Daniyal and now Asfand was slowly going towards the same path unknown to himself.

***

Asfandyar's words were echoing in her mind. She had gone to him for Khajista who was beaten to death by her husband but asfandyar's nonchalant attitude made her feel that she was just an ordinary doctor who cannot do anything to provide some comfort to someone who had been facing same condition as her deceased mother.

"Dekhiye doctor zubiya, we are here for treating the patient. We can take care of their mental and physical injuries. As a doctor it's our responsibility lekin aap ya main kisi ki personal life me Dhakal nahi de sakte.. ye baat aap yaad rakhiye."

Only if she could tell asfandyar, what she had actually felt on seeing Khajista. How she felt that she would not be able to bear to see one more woman facing the violence in the hands of her husband or brother.

Zubiya had been trying her best to overcome her shortcomings. She would try to be more and more attentive but whenever she would have to accompany Asfandyar, mistakes happen.

She was having an eerie feeling regarding asfandyar but she couldn't tell what was it.

His piercing gaze would always be directed towards her maybe to find her mistakes but lately she has witnessed that he wasn't scolding her like he used to.

"Maybe she was making less mistakes," she thought.

Zubiya had been much more attentive after she had gone with Gaiti for that impromptu tea, the incident has scared her for days.

His one sentence..

"Aap yahan," made her feel unwanted and after that day she swore that she wouldn't made anyone feel her like this..

Unwanted, alone and vulnerable.

She had come a long way and now she wanted to heal her wounds.

The hospital gave her the much wanted peace that she longed after her ammi died and she wouldn't compromise this peace with anything.

***

Hello everyone..

Apologies for grammar and spellings.

Hope you will enjoy.
Much love.