Chapter Eight

HI IM BACK !
I'm so so so sorry for abandoning this book. I've just been uninspired .

 ITS BEEN A couple of days now, and the crew wasn't really getting on any better levels than they had been on before

Gordon has helped us all to get along better and communicate, but now it's down to the food— The atmosphere.

Everything that gets placed on the line, needs to get worked on. Big time.

Timing on food— another huge importance.

"Charlotte!" Gordon calls my name. I whip my head towards him and look with wide eyes.
"Yes chef?" I ask.

"You've been here the longest, yes?" He asks me.

I nod hesitantly. "Y-Yes,"

"Good. I'm making you head of the line. You've got a loud voice, and I can tell you mean business when you speak." He says, catching a few cooks attentions.

"Wait, really? So, I wouldn't be a server anymore?" My head tilts, and my brows knit together.

"Well, I need somebody who can run the line with Tony. It's quite obvious he can't handle this sort of thing alone." Gordon looks over at Tony from behind the line and perks a brow. "For now, anyways."

Tony ignores us, and works beside Rick and Greg at the grills.

"Okay. I'll do it. I hated serving anyway." My shoulders shrug and I smile.

"Good. You work on traying the foods, and making sure everything is correct with pairing the tickets to the food." His hands do the talking for him, pointing to the counter, then the ticket rack.

"Sounds good." I smile.

Gordon turns from me, to the rest of the kitchen, clasping his hands together.
"Let's get some practice in. Tomorrow is Friday night. We're going to need to get our shit together tonight, or else, close down for tomorrow. And that's going to be a shame. That's where your money is." He says loud enough for everyone in the kitchen to hear.

"Rick! Anybody else who's going to be
cooking— needs to gather 'round. Come over, and I'll show you how we're going to cook the new easy, yet, gorgeous menu items." Gordon starts going on with the cooks, I get lost in his voice.

I've watched his shows quite a bit, I've been a fan for a few years now. I guess over the years saying I've developed a bit of a crush on him, was an understatement.

Especially now that I've met him in person, sat with him.

Ugh. He's so fine.

"Charlotte! Did you get that?" Gordon calls over the line to me. I snap myself from my thoughts and raise my brows curiously. "Sorry, what?"

"I need you to be paying attention, please sweetheart." He sighs softly, and goes over the instructions again.

He called me sweetheart. Oh my god.
But he was also annoyed. So . . that's not a positive.

"Sorry chef. I'm trying."

A brief look of disappointment creases his face.

"Come here, take a look. This is going to be very important for your job." He opens his arm to put around my shoulders, guiding me over to the new menu items.

"So, with the new items, you're going to be making sure that the food comes out with the right ingredients, and the right placements." He points at a plated item on the new menu.
"Make sure it's not missing anything, or lacking any presence."

I nod, glancing up at him. "Yes chef."

"Good! I'm counting on you." He sends me a smile.

I allow myself to smile back.

"Alright, Rick! I'm coming back there with you. Let's get the others, and start cooking."

I smile softly from the line, and watch as the cooks work with Gordon. They're actually doing really well, I'm so proud of them.

Marissa walks up to me and bumps me. "New position, huh? I think someone likes you."

I catch her smirking, and I find my face heating up. "Maybeee," I twirl side to side.

"That's awesome though! You get to work with asshat Tony, and get our food out faster. You're going to do so good, I know it." She swings her arms around my shoulders and hugs me.

I smile, hugging her back. "Thank you."

Ashley comes trotting up to us, a grin on her face. "Charlotte! You got a promotion!"

I laugh, pulling away from Marissa. "I know," I glance to Gordon as he cooks.

"I'm nervous."

"Don't be!" Ashley nudges me.

"Yeah, girl you're going to be great." Marissa adds in.

I nod softly. "I'm just nervous for the nights it gets slammed. You know what I mean? Like, being in the window when all that food gets slammed up there, it gets so confusing sometimes."

"You'll be fine, though. You've done this for years. You're like, the only one here who ever actually gave a shit about what the food looks like, too." Marissa laughs.

I catch Gordon looking up from the grill, and shooting me a smile before going back to his work.

My heart flutters in my chest like a bird trying to break free from a cage.

"And! You get to rub that promotion right in Katrina's prissy ass face!" Ashley shakes my shoulders.
I laugh, looking at the two girls. "That, I'm really excited about."

"Exactly! So get your shit together, and go piss her off!" Ashley smiles at me.

"Okay, okay!" I giggle, walking back up to the line.

"Charlotte! You ready?" Gordon calls from in front of the line.

I nod. "Yes chef!"