4 - Consent

"Do you have any friends?" The angel asked. 

They had met with each other in the outskirts of the bridge between the higher and lower worlds. The journey to the fallen town was long and silent. 

The angel had often pushed him to answer her questions. After a bit of commotion and poking, she got him to open up just enough for them to engage in small conversations with ease.

"None of your business." Kun grunted, balling hands into fists.

A large window broke into small triangular shards, all equal in size shape and design. The afternoon sun shone through the glass, marking his skin with spots of light.

"Those look cool." She complimented, standing up. 

She reached out to touch one of the shards only to push her index finger deep into the corner of a shard. She quickly pulled her hand away and squeezed her wrist. The shards around her dropped to the floor.

The light surrounding her was covered by a towering figure. The angel looked up to see Kun staring at her pricked finger.

"If there was poison in there, you'd be in a coma." He muttered and grabbed her hand. With the other, he took out a cloth and stored it securely on his shoulder. 

"Don't touch anything unless I tell you it's okay to do so."

The angel grunted and waved her free hand over her injury. She muttered a short incantation only to furrow her brows in confusion and concern.

"Your magic is defective." Kun explained. "Specifically when it's up against my power."

"Who are you?" She scoffed. "The descendant of the Dark One?" 

"You could say something like that."

"Wait, what?!"

Kun's lips tugged into a smirk. He ignored the angel's endless questions and took out a glass pen from the interior pocket of his jacket. He twirled it around its fingers and swirls of blue and silver travelled down to the tip.

The tip of the pen hovered above the wound. 

"Do I have your consent?" Kun asked. The angel tilted her head in confusion. "Do I have your consent to treat your injury?"

"Yeah, of course you do." The angel replied. "Why ask?"

"It's a universal law." He responded, tapping the wound with the tip of the pen.

The throbbing pain spreading around her finger quickly subsided and the blood dried. Kun took the small dampened towel from his shoulder and dabbed her finger until the crimson stain was gone.

"If I attempt to heal you or a guardian without your personal consent, that's treason in your domain. There are patrol guards everywhere, making sure the Mainlands stay peaceful and everyone follows the rules. I'm not some bastard who doesn't care about the law. I'm here to survive."

"We've been hanging out for a while." The angel said. "That should be enough for us to not need consent."

"Three days doesn't certify anything, angel." Kun tutted and cleaned his pen. 

"I barely know you as you barely know me. Consent applies to almost everything in everyday situations. Whatever they taught you up there is suitable for the idiots who'll stay there. In this world, the rules are different."