Kindness and Support - Above and Beyond

'You went to see your supervisor to hand in your notice and they did what?' I asked Keith. This fun loving guy had worked for the company for about three years, never looked for a promotion. The man just loved what he did, revelling in customer contact and looking after to look after people. Keith was a believer in looking after people how he liked to be treated.

To be honest, in a good quality contact centre that was there to look after their client base, this is the healthiest maxim to have for the continued success of the company.

Keith had reached 'contact centre burn out.' It was time to move on to another type of job entirely or another call centre with a totally different product or product range.

'Come on then, you look in a state of shock mate. So, you went in to see Andria, (our team manager) to hand in the towel. You were with her nearly an hour. You look in shock. What happened?'

Keith sat down, my headset was sitting around my neck and I was in 'busy' That means my line was closed to new calls for the un-contact centre types. 'I have an interview with HR' Keith muttered, 'But hold on, it's not for what you think. Sit back and listen!'

Andria sat down and listened to my story, heard me out and waited for the conclusion which was my resignation, then blew my mind!

She told me first of all that once a team member had decided to leave, it was her belief that their head and heart would no longer be in the job. They would no longer be able to give our members the level of service that they were capable of. Although they may not realise it, this could drop back to around 80% of their capability and as their leaving date approached, levels of customer service would drop further . She then accepted my resignation with no challenge or regret. I was a bit crest fallen to be honest. I have been here for a long time.

I couldn't help but think that there was more to come. Keith did not look that upset, more shocked and surprised. Staying very quiet is quite unusual for me!

It was worth the wait.

'I have a two-hour meeting with HR next week. They want to carry out the usual debrief. Why am I leaving? Is there anything they could have done? Do I have anything to go to? and so on.'

Nobody ever believes anything ever comes of these meetings and feedback. Hot air to ease the company's conscience.

'Then they told me that following a review of the reasons why people left, they and the board looked at feedback with a view as to what the company can offer to its 'soon to be' ex-employees and were introducing some new procedures.''

There was a long pause........

Keith added 'They are going to help me write my Curriculum Vitae and will over the next few weeks carry out practice interviews with me to give me guidance and help.'

'Wow!' I said.

'Hold on' said Keith. 'It gets better You know the knowledge net.......'

The knowledge net was an area that was open to all employees for up to two hours a week in work time where they could take on-line courses in anything. The company would pay for these courses believing it motivated the staff and made them better people.

'Well, there are about six one day courses available to me. The certificates I could get from these are recognised by all businesses and would help me incredibly. They are going to give me the time during my working day to study these courses and sit the exams. The company will even be paying for the courses'

Apparently Andrea explained to Keith that the company view was this:-

If someone wants to leave, the company will not stop them, but as to how they are personally and how well they interview reflects on them and the last employer. So, the organisation will help these people to be successful elsewhere. This makes everyone look good and reflects well on the contact centre. It also means that old employees are unlikely to bad mouth the company and tell people that we are 'good guys' to work for, making recruitment easier. How did she put it......yep. It's a win win.