The Thing About Beauty

In his senior year of high school, the then 16-year-old Vladimir Austria chanced upon a cheerleading practice in the college he was visiting.

He had been walking for hours around the large campus when his tired legs drew him towards a  building where shouts and cheers could be heard clearly from the outside.

He immediately found a spot where he could rest and observe the crowd before him.

Suddenly, in the cacophony of jeers and rhythmic counting, a particular outburst of laughter resonated throughout the gymnasium and wormed its way to Vlad's ears.

He looked around for the source of such loud and distinct sound when his eyes landed on a boy giggling while holding both of his hands to his mouth in an attempt to control himself as the people around him laughed and shushed him.

The boy was glowing.

He stood with his shirt soaked through with perspiration and his face flushed and covered in a fine sheen of sweat. On lesser mortals this would have made them look like a disaster but with eyes that were crinkled in mirth and a body that was poised for another round of boisterous laughter, the boy looked absolutely beautiful.

And Vlad, poor Vlad, was smitten in an instant.