ᴄᴀʟʟ

(Short Chapter Alert)

Unknown POV

The Covid-19 cases were being pretty well handled in South Korea, so it was much safer than I expected it to be. I didn't actually mind when I learnt that I'll be stuck here for as long as the lockdown continues. Who I was worried about was Wakatoshi. I couldn't stop thinking about how lonely he would be. With everything the doctors and therapists were saying about the adverse effects of being alone in such trying times made it even more worrisome. So, when he called me saying that he's going to stay with Satori, I was beyond relieved.

I could do my job while at peace. After the surgery, in a week or so, the company's work will be done here. Ofcourse I hadn't told anyone except my close colleague about it, not even Wakatoshi. Especially not him, I don't want him to stress out further. That would be horrible for him with everything that has happened and everything that will happen. However, my conscience was being torn here. Should I value my son's happiness or his trust? Both of those are important. He deserves to know, he's an understanding person.

Mrs. Ushijima stared at the phone sitting on her table. She was troubled, at the least. She wanted to tell Wakatoshi of course, but she was afraid if how it might affect him. After all, it hadn't even been eight months since his father passed away and those wounds take a lot of time to just close. She knew she couldn't burden him with the knowledge of how close he came to loose both of his parents. But she also knew how much he appreciated blunt honesty and truth.

She was nervous, ofcourse, very very nervous. It was rather unnatural for Mrs. Ushijima to feel this way. Her anticipation had settled into a pit at the bottom of her gut as she stared into the dreaded future. She knew her son's reaction would be blunt and probably expressionless, but she hoped that he wouldn't worry too much after hearing what she had to say. Also... He wouldn't like being lied to or kept from the truth. With that thought, she dialled the phone number labelled "Wakatoshi".

The ringing flowed out of the speaker and rang on and on until- "Hello?" She drew a long breathe, planning to fit in as many words as she could.

"Wakatoshi, please listen without interrupting. I don't think I can repeat this again. I wanted to tell you-" She faltered. "-I wanted to tell you that...... I didn't come to South Korea only for my business trip. I... I didn't know how to break it you but... I came here, to get surgery for Hanahaki too..." The usually expressionless woman let a tear slip from her eyes. "I really loved your dad...... And he still loved me... But neither of us realised it ofcourse..." She coughed loudly, having spoken for longer than permitted.

"In time..... A few symptoms began to show themselves... Cough, pain in the chest and respiratory organs."

As she paused to catch her breathe Wakatoshi tried to interject, "M-"

"No Wakatoshi... Please listen first. A week before your father passed away.... He told me about how he'd been experiencing the pains and symptoms and-"

Her voice cracked suddenly and a sniffing sound ensued from the receiver. Her voice softened by a degree. "He told me he coughed up a foxglove flower..... My favourite ones...." She smiled sadly as another tear went past her expressionless façade.

"You know what had happened to me? That bad 'throat infection' which I had months ago? That wasn't a simple throat infection.... That was Hanahaki."

She coughed again. "Mine were wisteria flowers.... His favourite..." Her sad smile twisted into a line as wobbly as her voice, "We were supposed to reconcile...."

This time she knew she heard much more than a sniff from the receiver. "I had the surgery the day I came here... I should be fine in a couple of days more..." Her son's voice came out all cracked with distortion, "Does it still hurt?"

She held back tears. "My feelings for you father are gone.... But my regrets.... My regrets are still there." She let another tear slip, then another and another.

"I'm so sorry Wakatoshi...."

"Mrs. Ushijima.... I'm sorry too.."

Her tears stopped in their tracks as realisation washed over her, "Wait a second- This is not Wakatoshi, is it?"

~

Ha hA hA-

For this chapter, I want to thank _akiraas for inspiring me. They really helped me with the cliffhanger and their advice is amazing!

I also want to thank everyone for FUCKING 200 READS OMFG WHAT THE ACTUAL HELL THANK YOU IM HAVING A CARDIAC ARREST-

Now, the usual tag list for checking out some good fics (and my friends lol-) :

_akiraas
AvyuktaJoshi
Aragamer3ov
ChimChim_Productions
Maykim77
BhaavyaBangotra
PpronesianParrapio
-AnimeLover67-
ddxrksxul
jeonjungkookfan0808
beyondthesuga
Randoomness