Chapter 66

Lexa sat for a bit, then texted Clarke.

I just got some news. And here I am, using tech to alert you to it. [smile emoji] She set her phone down and started looking at the Amtrak schedules. If the phone call in the afternoon ended at three—

A message interrupted.

can i call?  Clarke texted.

yes

Her phone rang a few seconds later.

"Hey," Lexa answered.

"Hi," Clarke said, and fuck, her voice. Lexa closed her eyes and let just the sound of that one word wash over her. "First, thanks for not waiting a day to tell me," she continued, and Lexa heard the smile in her tone.

"Well, I'm trying to learn how to deal with these devices and all."

She laughed. "I do appreciate it. What's the news?"

"Kelly was just in my office and apparently, she and other leadership here don't just think me relocating to DC is a good idea. They also want me to head up that office."

Pause. "Oh, my God. As in, the boss of it?"

"Pretty much. They want me to create a team."

"And basically shape the office."

"Yeah. Basically."

"Fuck, this is awesome news." The excitement in her voice was palpable. "So how is this going to work?"

"Kelly said she'd like me to be fully in charge by this time next year. They want me to have a look at things when I start there, think about what we need and the kind of team we should have, and probably to start doing some recruiting."

"This—shit, I don't have the words for how amazing this is. Also, I just would like to point out again how awesome it is that you didn't wait to contact me with this fabulous news. I feel like we're kind of celebrating together."

Lexa laughed. "Okay, okay. You might be right, about how it's not always cool to be old-fashioned."

"As cute as I think that quirk of yours is, I'm so appreciating right now that you're letting me know—wait. Did you find this out yesterday and you're telling me now?" She was teasing and Lexa's smile widened.

"Ha, ha. I texted you that I just got the news. Kelly left my office a few minutes ago."

"Wow. This is seriously fresh news. So what did you tell her?"

"Nothing yet. She told me to take my time on a decision, and if I don't want to be the boss, that's fine. She still thinks I'll be good for the DC office."

"If you don't want to be boss? Did you—do you not want this?"

"No, I do. I'm just...a little worried."

"About what?"

She didn't respond right away because she wasn't sure how to put her concern into words.

"Lexa?"

"Yeah. It's—I'm worried about work-life balance." She idly clicked through the schedules of the Amtrak lines to DC from New York. "It's a lot of work."

"So build that balance into your new office. Make sure the things you think are important are incorporated into the work culture. You get to do that. Unless you really don't want this position. If you don't, that's okay, but I think you'd be amazing as the DC office commander. Whatever you choose, you should do what makes you happy."

"Did you just refer to me as office commander?"

Clarke laughed. "Actually, I think it sounds cooler without office tacked on. DC commander. That's better."