Chapter 69

The train slowed as it entered Penn Station and the car was full of movement as people positioned themselves near the doors, some talking. Clarke overheard a couple of guys chatting about Times Square and she figured they might have decided to do New Year's with the thousands of other people who braved the cold and whatever other weather. Crowds exhausted her, and she was so glad Lexa was the same way.

A few moments later the train stopped and the doors opened and Clarke moved with the flow of travelers to the platform and then toward the main station, which was an underground city all its own, with shops and restaurants and a constant stream of pedestrians. She went to get in line for a subway card and when she had finished and stepped aside, she got a text message.

On my way home. Will let you know when I get there.

Did u eat dinner? Clarke texted back. Or drink it? lol. Please tell me ur going to eat something legit.

Lexa responded almost immediately. Shared potstickers at bar, but I'll make lasagna at home. Your mom's at xmas kinda made me want that tonight, too. [smile emoji]

Perfect. Clarke grinned and bit her lower lip. I really want to be there helping you with that.

BIG same, she texted back. TTY in a bit?

Yes [kiss emoji]. Clarke put her phone away and hurried to the subway platforms so she could catch the train she needed. Good thing it wasn't that long a ride, because the platform was packed, and so was the train. Rush hour on New Year's Eve. Good fucking God.

She ended up standing on the train, so she took her backpack off and held it by its handle to give people more room behind her. Her duffle wasn't that big, so she shifted it to her front and leaned into the pole, resigned to this situation, since she would eventually be where she needed to go.

A guy bumped into her as the train jerked and she tensed but he offered an apology and continued looking at his phone. Most people bore the commute this time of day stoically, fortunately, and while she waited for her stop, she got an idea for a painting.

She didn't often do urbanscapes that focused on people, but it might be fun to do a subway platform. Maybe a series, from platform to the train to the stopping point.

Or maybe a view of a present-day subway platform and train and then a post-apocalyptic view of the same platform. That was intriguing. She visualized it, and the color schemes she would use for both. The train jerked again and she held on to the pole.

They were delayed a bit between stations, and her impatience increased but she tried to entertain herself through people-watching, which was always fun in a city.

Finally the train arrived at the stop she needed and she made her way to the doors, bumping against people who tried to get out of the way for the people leaving. Once on the platform, she put her backpack on and put her hat and gloves on then went through the turnstile and on up the steps to the cold New York night, but she didn't care because she'd be at Lexa's building really freaking soon.

She needed to make a quick stop first, so she checked her phone for nearby liquor stores and found one about a block away. Halfway to Lexa's apartment building from there, bottle of wine in hand, she got a text and she stopped to check it.

Home. Let me know when you can talk, Lexa said.

Jesus, the timing on this whole thing could not have been more perfect. Give me about 20 mins

Just text when you're ready [heart emoji]

"Yes," Clarke said under her breath as she continued walking. She passed lots of people, and a festive vibe hovered in the clear, cold night, carried by the laughs and shouts in the winter breeze. God, she could not wait to see Lexa.