1.2

Steadily, I put the fork filled with stuffed chicken to my mouth. I tried to show no sign of restraint, but I was having trouble. I took a big drink of water, trying to fill my stomach with liquids rather than food. Liquids are easier to throw up than food.

I sat with Luke's closest family, his two brothers, their girlfriends, his parents, and grandparents. They were all having a wonderful time with each other while I was struggling to keep Luke off my back about eating.

"So Ashley," Liz turned toward me, all the chatter at the table died down and turned to us. "Tell us about yourself." she rose her eyebrows at me and I swallowed a lump in my throat.

"What would you like to know?" I ask and Liz smiles a tiny bit, but it soon turns into a frown again.

"Uni, are you planning on going?" she questioned and I straightened up in my seat and smoothed out my dress.

"Yes, I, uh, want to become a music producer." I said and look back at Liz, she doesn't show signs of approval.

"I can see why Luke likes you," I hear one of the two brothers mutter and saw Luke shoot them a death glare.

"Music is a very hard business to get in. Why not do something you have a permanent spot in?" Liz said like it was obvious, offending me just a little.

"Well I-"

"Mum, let's not talk about this here." Luke said harshly, and interrupted me.

"Luke, I'm simply asking her questions on what she wants do with her life." Luke bows down to her at once, sinking back in his chair. "As you were saying," she motioned me on.

"Well, um, I've always loved music and I want to be able to write it professionally one day. Of course, I know it's a hard business to make it in, but I have confidence and if confidence isn't enough for you, well, I don't really care. It would be doing what I love and that's all that matters to me." I said, making sure she heard me clearly. She leaned back in her chair, stunned that I had shown her up. I looked over at Luke and he had a smirk on his lips and was looking at me in satisfaction.

"Damn," Andrew said and Liz shot him a look.

"I can't see you with my son," Liz stood up from the table, her eyes narrowed at me. "I will not accept you and Luke dating." her words knocked the breath out of me, she didn't.

"There's no way in hell that you can tell me who I can date. I'm eighteen, I can date whoever I want." Luke stood up and faced his mother, his eyebrows ceased. "And I want to date Ashley, so I will." he offered me his hand, which I took in mine.

"Now listen here, as long as you live under my roof there will be no dating of that girl." Liz shook her finger at Luke. I hadn't noticed but most people from other tables had been staring at this fight for awhile now.

"Then I'm leaving." Luke pulled me up and pulled me close to him. "I need her." his glare from his mom went to me but a soft look replaced his features.

"Fine." Liz sat back down, her eyes brimming with tears. Luke shook his head with anger and walked over to the bride and groom's table and wished them well, I followed his lead and did the same.

We walked out to the parking lot, hand in hand. He just looked down at the grey gravel down at his feet. He stopped at the car and pulled open my door, but I didn't get in.

Instead, I took his hand again and made him unlock the trunk, where there lay a small blanket. I grabbed the blanket and his hand again and we walked. The sun was setting and it created an orange-pink glow across the sky, fading into a deep blue. There were no clouds to interrupt the perfect sea of warm colors, only the sun and the moon. We walked along until we reached trees, big trees with lots of branches. The air was cooling and I was glad I had brought a jacket along with me to keep me warm.