Chapter 3

NIALL

The cafe was actually small and intimate, which didn't really surprise me. Olivia has never liked attention on her and the fact that she was now more famous didn't change her personality, I knew it. I sat at a table and grabbed my phone to see if she had messaged me but I quickly looked up when I realized the waitress was standing next to my table.

"Uhm, a french vanilla coffee and a cappuccino, please."

I watched the lady leave and held my breath, now regretting the fact that I ordered for her. I hadn't been with Olivia for over a year and yet, this old habit naturally came back to me. It was a very bad idea and I didn't know what she'd think of it. In fact, I didn't even know myself what to think of it. Plus, she hated when someone else decided for her. Of course, when we were dating, she thought it was sweet that i always knew what she'd pick but now? Well let's just say that even if it went well the day before when we met for the first time in a year, didn't mean that she had forgotten about me breaking her heart.

I was still lost in my thought when the bell of the door rang but I recognized her smell. That thought made me close my eyes and I groaned low. I knew it was sad and pathetic, and I knew that we weren't in a movie, but it was still the truth. I don't think I would ever get used to that smell, and it was fucking crazy how much I missed it.The truth was, I felt like I knew her by heart, yet it has been so long I had no idea if it was still the case.

"Hey you, still 'dans la lune'?"

I looked up at her and my heart skipped a beat. My heart fucking skipped a beat! I felt it stir in my chest and I hated it as much as I loved it. Without thinking, I got up quickly and sent her a smile as I let my eyes roam on her face. God, I wanted to kiss her.

"Hey petal." I just said, naturally bending down to kiss her cheek, "Haven't heard you talk french in a long time!"

"I talk a lot with my parents these days on skype, that's why."

I felt her hands on my shoulders and slowly, I wrapped my arms around her waist. I was not sure she was okay with it but she didn't back away and I pulled her against me as her arms moved around my neck. When was the last time I had the chance to hold her in my arms like that? I couldn't remember. All I knew was there was no way i'd let an other year pass before it happened again. She finally pulled away and sat in front of me as I sat back too. I opened my lips to talk just when the waitress came to put the coffees in front of us and left. Olivia blinked a few times, looked down at her mug and finally up in my eyes.

"I'm guessing you didn't order yourself two cups of coffee, did you?" she asked, raising her eyebrows.

"I'm sorry." I apologized, shaking my head slightly and looking down. "It's a habit I thought I got rid of but apparently... I didn't."

"Do you do that with your girlfriend too?"

"Fuck no." I let out with a chuckle without thinking. "I mean, you know Heidi, she's a bit of a..."

"Bitch?" she asked, raising her eyebrows before losing her smile. "I mean, god, i'm sorry. I shouldn't have said that."

We remained in silence for a few seconds and I sighed, rubbing my hand on my face. I wanted to tell her I didn't really care what she said about my girlfriend but I didn't dare. I didn't want her to think I didn't care what she said, but at the same time, I didn't really want to say that Heidi and I weren't doing so well. Or maybe it was just me, I was not sure anymore.

"Don't worry, it's all good. I know you two have never been the best of friends." I just let out, trying to get rid of the awkwardness between us.

"That's.. the euphemism of the year." she just replied, raising her eyebrows and focusing on her mug. "She's always loved to show me how close you two were and let me know that you were hers. It used to drive me insane."