Chapter 29 (Akiko Rei)

Chapter 29(Akiko Rei)

I jumped up when Jun ran out. "Mr. Megumi, I don't know what happened, but if she gets hurt..." I let my warning hang and tore after my best friend. She beat me outside, but I was gaining. Suddenly a crowd started to build around Jun, separating me from my best friend.

I tried to go through it, but when I heard the screech of tires and someone scream I gave up on fighting the crowd. I vaulting over the railing on the side of the road, landing in the street, and I all but stopped breathing. Jun was laying on the ground, still as could be, with blood starting to pool around her head.

I ran to her, not caring about anything else, and dropped to my knees beside her. I reached for her, but I was afraid to touch her. My fingers finally found her cheeks and I lined her face with my hands. Her cheeks were still wet with tears. I moved closer and kept my hands on her cheeks.

It wasn't just her I was seeing, it was my brother. He had looked like this after the accident. My parents had told me it was quick and that there wasn't much blood. I knew now they had been lying. To get hit by a car was not clean or quick. It was bloody and painful. But I couldn't cry.

I had no sense of awareness to what was going on around me, all I could do was look at Jun. I started to sing softly, one of the songs she had taught me. My voice was horrible and cracked multiple times at first, but then it got stronger. Tears started coming then and I continued singing, not even bothering to wipe them away.

An ambulance arrived before I had even finished the song. The officers worked around me at first, but then one touched my shoulder. He said something to me, but I didn't catch it at first. "Miss, we need to take her to the hospital." He said again, and this time I caught it.

I shook my head. I didn't want to leave her. I didn't want to let these strangers take her, although I knew they could help her. "Rei." I felt a pair of hands touch my arms gently and looked to see familiar red hair. I didn't have to say anything, he understood.

Ittoki helped me up and held me to his chest. I grabbed his shirt and just clung there. I had stopped crying, but I was shaking like a leaf. Ittoki gently rubbed my arms and my back. He was saying something to me, in a soft and soothing voice, but I didn't know what.

When I heard the clang of the metal bed going into the ambulance I ripped away from him. "Wait. Let me come." I ran over to the ambulance.

One of the officers seemed surprised at my sudden change, but nodded. I climbed in and sat down, taking Jun's hand. It was still warm. She was still warm and I felt a little relieved. They worked on her and I sat there, just looking at her face. The ambulance was rushing, but finally they slowed and I looked at them.

"What's wrong?" I asked worriedly and one smiled at me.

"Nothing. Your friend should be fine. The wounds aren't as serious as they looked." He said and I let out a breath.

"Thank you." I said softly and he nodded.

"I'm just happy to help out. Of course, she's not out of danger completely, but until we can take a better look at what's inside we've done our best." He said and I nodded. "Can you tell me her name?" He asked.

"Jun Megumi. She's 17." I added. He jotted it down and nodded.

"Good. And what about you?" He asked.

"My? Akiko Rei." I said.

"Jun and Rei... I know those names. Oh, you aren't Modern Classic by any chance?" He asked.

"Ya, that's us." I told him and he smiled.

"You have good music." He said.

"Thanks." I replied softly. I looked at Jun again. "But if Jun doesn't wake up I won't play again." I decided.

We reached the hospital then and there was a rush as they took her out. The officer who had been talking to me hung back. "Akiko, if you want to come with me I'll take you to a place you can wait." He offered and I nodded.

He led me inside and up a floor. He let me into a room but paused to write something on the door. I saw him snag a nurse in the hallway and I just looked around the room. It was an ordinary hospital room, white and clean. There was only one bed surrounded by waiting equipment. There was a couch on the other side of the room as well, along with a small table.

The nurse came in and smiled at me, but I kept my eyes on my shoes. "You're Akiko Rei, correct?" She asked and I nodded. "And your friend is Jun Megumi?" I nodded again. The nurse moved closer and touched my shoulder, causing me to look up.

"Your friend will be fine." She said.

I nodded. "I know. It's not that." I admitted.

"Then what it is?" She asked.

"Um... well... I lost my brother when he was hit by a car a few years back..." I mumbled and her expression changed to one of sympathy.

"Oh, you poor girl." She smiled gently. "Here, let's get you cleaned up. Do you have someone who can bring you a change of clothes?" She asked.

I nodded and went for my phone, only to realize I had left it in my bag at the hotel. "Oh." I said softly and she tilted her head.

"What's wrong?" She asked.

"I don't have my phone." I said and she smiled.

"That's alright. Let's just patch you up for now, shall we?" She offered. She had me sit on the bed and pulled out a medical kit. She quickly had the cuts on my legs bandaged, which I didn't even know I had, and by the time she was done they had brought Jun in, pushing the cot to another set of equipment. She was sleeping, with a bandage around her head.

"She'll be fine." The doctor said and I let out a breath. I suddenly got sleepy and fell back against the bed. I was out the moment my head hit the pillow.

\*+-+*/+\*+-+*/+\*+-+*/+\*+-+*/+\*+-+*/+\*+-+*/+\*+-+*/+\*+-+*/+\*+-+*/

I was startled awake by Jun's voice. It took me a moment to understand what she was saying, but when I finally did I jumped up. She looked at me and tilted her head ever so slightly. "Jun, how are you feeling?" I asked carefully.

"I'm fine, but... who are you?" She asked innocently.