5)Paper Hearts

"July" by Noah Cyrus
A/N I piggybacked on a previously written chapter and replaced the text with a brand-new never-seen-before one! Be nice to people in the comments; they read the old version of this book and not the new one before commenting. 
Happy Reading!
***

"No nightmares." Grinned Lucy the next morning. "Great, huh?"
Elle nodded as she stabbed at her scrambled eggs with a fork. It was breakfast before they started their individual days. While Lucy would go to classes and then work, Elle had a day planned of studying more on mythology before her shift at Bean Bodega that afternoon.

"Yeah, you got a reprieve from running into my room to defend my honor." Elle was about to place her fork passed her lips before a set of eyes caught her attention. "Stupid cat," she muttered. Elle's grandmother had owned a large ginger cat for many years. It had passed away a few months previously. Instead of having a long grieving period for the annoying animal that was always torturing Elle's German Shepherd Shadow, Grace Darrow had instead ran out and found the first cat she could find to take its place. This new cat wasn't as beastly as the previous one, but it was still unfriendly if not more than the last one. At first, Elle had tried winning over the animals' affections with kitty treats and belly scratches. But they were to no avail. Cuddling resulted in the cat hissing or bolting away from her. The last time Elle had tried petting the creature, it snarled at her before running outside.

"Be nice to Snowball," Lucy playfully scolded. She fixed her own plate of eggs before setting it down on the table. Next, she went to open the blinds to the kitchen window. Elle nearly rolled her eyes at the cats stupid name. It was just another reminder of snow, which was another reminder of Jack, whom was another reminder of why Elle was so bitter and angry.

"It actually snowed," exclaimed Lucy in wonder, her smile illuminating her face. "About time!"

The words echoed in Elle's ears, causing her stomach to plummet even as her fork, laden with uneaten eggs, clattered against her plate and then the table, spilling its contents onto the floor in a flurry of fluffy yellow.

Without hesitation, Elle bolted from her chair, her heart pounding with disbelief. Racing to the window, she threw aside the curtains to behold the miraculous sight for herself, her breath catching in her throat at the sight of delicate snowflakes swirling gently from the heavens above.

Strong amounts of gorgeous white snow covered every inch of the farm. The cows and goats out back were frolicking in it. Light traces of snow were still falling, lightly blowing in the wind. Elle stared wild eyed and open mouthed. Words failed her as she ran from the window and out the door of the back porch. She was barefoot as she hurried off the stairs and into the snow but that was irrelevant. The cold didn't bother her as it used to. It had never truly bothered her growing up, but Elle was finding the more she tapped into her abilities the more she couldn't quite notice temperature anymore. Everything was starting to come across as neutral whether it was hot or cold.

Elle ventured outside barefoot, the crisp snow crunching softly beneath her feet as she stepped into the winter wonderland that lay before her. The world around her seemed to shimmer with a vibrant brightness, the rooftops of nearby sheds and the distant barn adorned with a delicate layer of brilliant white snowflakes.

But amidst the serene landscape, a surge of fury welled up inside Elle, her hands curling into tight fists at her sides. With a primal scream, she unleashed her frustration into the early morning sky, the words echoing against the silent expanse of winter.

"YOU CAME WHILE I WAS SLEEPING!?" she bellowed, her voice raw with emotion. "SERIOUSLY?!"

Her rage reverberated through the stillness, punctuated by a string of profanities that echoed into the air. Of course, Jack would choose to deliver snow while she was sleeping.
Heaven forbid he have the decency to visit her realm while she was conscious. She kicked at the snow and cussed louder. Elle's miniature temper tantrum was ill timed. She probably should have waited until her roommate was gone for the day. At least, that was what Elle thought as she turned and found Lucy slack jawed in the patio doorway watching her. The awkward silence was palpable. "What are you looking at?" Elle muttered as she hurried back into the house. She was partially talking to Lucy, partially talking to the cat that was sitting beside her.